Low Thyroid discovery

iVillage Member
Low Thyroid discovery
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 4:33pm
 Hi Ladies. I need some advice. I've been on the Menopause & Peri Café  a few times questioning, whether at age 38, if I could be going through Peri-Menopause. I got alot of good feedback and scheduled my annual gyno exam for August 3rd. My gyno confirmed I am in Peri-Menopause but ordered a bunch of blood work to be done to make sure nothng else was going on.

Now, in order to do the blood work, I had to fast for 12 hours. So Monday, I finally got to the local lab and had my blood work done. 

WELL>> my blood work came back today and the Gyno nurse called me. All of my blood counts and electrolytes came back "beautiful". I had nice overall cholesterol and triglyceride levels. My HDL level however was a little low. She suggested more exercise to raise that.

Here's the distressing part. She said there were two Thyroid tests done. One level came back normal and the other very low. She suggested I call my family doctor (who received a copy of the blood test results) and get on some Thyroid medicine as soon as possible.

The Ladies from the Menopause & Peri Café told me I should come over here with my questions.

PLEASE give me some advice. I'm worried now. My mother said my grandmother (her mom) had Thyroid problems. Am I looking at a lifetime of pills? Is this one of those diseases that if you don't take meds you could have a seizure or end up in the hospital? Can I choose not to go on meds? I'm going to call the doctor in a day or two. Any advice would be very much appreciated....

~ Chrissie ~
~ Chrissie ~
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 12:01am

It's difficult to say, especially since you didn't specify which hormones were tested, which one was fine, and which one was low. I personally have hyperthyroid and I've been off and on medicine for nearly 10 years now. If you are hypothyroid, they can give you something to bring your levels up. You probably won't end up in the hospital, but having levels out of range is not a healthy thing. For instance, with mine, I know I could have a thyroid storm, which would be very bad. That's never happened. When my thyroid comes out of remission, I feel like crud as my levels rise, I get on medicine, and then I start to feel better after my levels come back down. There are other options besides medicine if you're hyperthyroid, though I would not personally choose the other treatments (radioactive iodine - bad for breast tissue, and surgery to remove some or all of the thyroid). So, you'll need to find out which levels are off, how much off, and possibly what might be causing your levels to be off.

I seem to recall a lady I know having hypothyroid symptoms while going thru menopause. She didn't like taking medicine and, if I recall correctly, attributed it to her menopause and didn't take her medicine. I haven't talked to her about it in quite some time to see if that was still working for her or not though.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 9:55pm

Hi Chrissie,

Welcome to our board.

I'm not sure

Calley7

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 9:56am

Good morning everyone! Thank you all for your responses. I'm not sure which level the Gyno nurse was referring to yet. I called my family doctor but he's out this week. His nurse called me back and said she went over my test results with another doctor in that office and he didn't feel that the Thyrod level was low enough to warrant any medicine or treatment. Of course,

~ Chrissie ~