It was a red letter day here today !!!

iVillage Member
It was a red letter day here today !!!
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:59pm
My dd who turned 7 last month read _Green Eggs And Ham_ all by herself. She has been really struggling with this reading thing and so have I as my first two were young 5's when fluent and it is so hard NOT to compare. She has albinism (lack of pigment) which also causes vision impairment. I was so proud I wanted to dance. THEN

Tonight, my "baby" who turned 2 in December used the potty for the first time. I have never been a proactive potty trainer but my cloth diapers are almost all rags, I don't want to buy more for this last baby :( and we are unemployed so I don't want to be buying disposables for much longer. I am not ready to do much buit letting him sit while getting in the tub was harmless and yielded results.

I just wanted to celebrate because I realized I rarely post except when venting or asking for help. I really have a wonderful life so I need to be more than a negative presence here :).

Kim

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:25pm
That's wonderful, Kim. We had a lot of trouble with Elvis' reading, too. It turned out that his eyesight was bad also. A lot of astigmatism. My step- grandson has no pigment although my step daughter denies albinism. He can't see much either, even with his glasses. When he came to stay with us last summer we discovered that he wasn't pushing his food away because he was full, he was pushing it farther away so he could see it. Poor baby. I quickly learned to give him contrasting colored utensils and such so he could at least know where his fork and spoon was. If you know learned any special tricks, please pass them on to me. I suspect Corbyn will have a lot of trouble reading if my DSD doesn't recognize his special needs other than getting him glasses. There should be a picture of him and my step daughter if you click on my username. He's quite a cutie.

We are still working on the potty thing with James( 28 mos)He wears underwear, and has for a few months, but still keeps peeing all over. I have to follow him with the mini steam cleaner. I refuse to use pull- ups other than bedtime, and even then I usually use cloth if he will let me put a diaper on him. He doesn't want to wear a diaper like a baby. I guess it will eventually happen. He has pooped in the potty and acted like it was some torture event.

Well, I'm really glad you had a good day. We all need more of those.

Kathy

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 1:10am
Congrats on having a great day Kim! Also congrats to your 7yo! I know what you mean about having readers and then dealing with a problem reader. I had quite a problem adjusting, partly because I've always been a huge reader myself. My 10yo is JUST getting it now.

I hope potty training goes easily for everyone. Come on little man! You can do it. :o)

May there be many more red letter days in the future.

Take Care

Kim

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 4:49am
Wow thats wonderful! :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:49am
Congrats Kim, that's fantastic. It is so difficult not to compare. Are you done having babies? How do you feel about that? Just wondering cause of the last baby in diapers part.

Take care, and come around more often. Of course you have a wonderful life, but let's face it most of us use these boards for problems. I think that's what they are here for.

Kathy

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:03am
Kathy, do you mean that your step dd has not had him officially diagnosed? He looks just like my 2 yo! My little guy does not have albinism like my dd but he is vary fair like her. Does Corbyn have eyes that wiggle around like a typewriter? This is called nystagmus and is a dead giveaway for an albinotic. This was how my dd was diagnosed at 2 mos. He may need glasses already. Many albinotics are legally blind. Honour just happens to have it only mildly so she needs glasses but her distance vision is good enough now that if it stays the same, she should be able to drive. Most cannot. I would encourage your step dd to take him to a pediatric ophthamologist. This has been so helpful to us.

Kim

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:11pm
Dsd has taken him to a pediatric opthamologist and gotten the glasses. He is extremely farsighted and she said the doctor told her that he may be able to drive when he is a teen if nothing changes. She originally took him to a military dr. in Germany who said nothing was wrong even though he always turned to one side when he was an infant. A few months later she noticed his eyes would float around separately and then took him to a pediatric opthamolgist in Arizona. She said they said nothing of albinism. They just gave him glasses and his eyes don't float around much with them on. If he takes his glasses off, one eye will get turned off completely and stuck in his head.

We are pale family except for the African- American part of the family. As you can see, Corbyn's mom is mixed. I'm not sure he should be as light as he is. His skin is completely see through and his eyes are pale blue. In most light, his eyes reflect red. I'm not sure if dsd is in denial, but at least she is protecting his eyes and he wears sunglasses and sunscreen all the time. We are hoping that he can come stay with us for a few months again this summer.

Kathy

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 6:53pm
I think we are finished building our family, sadly. My dh is 51 and he feels too old to keep adding. Also, we have suffered through chronic unemployment (this time it is up to 18 months) through the last 8 yrs or so and he feels VERY insecure about financial responsibility right now. I am on the fence. I get the baby bug often now but am also happy to be moving on to other stages of parenting. I like the freedom of being able to do more without the added stress of horrible pregnancies and infants, however portable they may be :)

Kim