Update on BFing problems

iVillage Member
Update on BFing problems
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 1:17am

I am so happy. The thrush is a zillion times better for both Brian Patrick and me and my cracks are healing. BFing is so much easier today than it was 2 days ago.

Jamie recommended grapefruit seed oil, which I found in pill form and it really knocked out the thrush. Then she said a friend of hers was told to use aquaphor on her cracked nipples and just to wipe it off before she nursed her baby. Oh my gosh, it worked so well. I've been a huge fan of aquaphor for over 13 years, but I never thought to use it on my nipples. All I can say is it is fabulous.

Today I only topped Brian Patrick off twice with formula. I think we're turning a corner here and I am so happy. I feel like there is a good chance for us to make this work.

I can't tell you how much your support means to me. Not just here on the board, but also through FB and e-mail. If I didn't have you all, I probably would have thrown in the towel (or would that be the breast pad) last weekend.

Hugs,

Martie
Mom to 8 amazing children

Martie

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 12:53pm

We're down to 1 "top off" bottle a day. I am so happy about that. Athough apparently his 5am "top off" was 8 oz this morning. Yikes!

Hugs,

Martie

Martie

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 11:20pm
That's awesome Martie!! It's tough enough BFing at times, then to have thrush in the mix...so glad you found things that worked...and fast!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 12:56pm

I am so happy things are getting better for you! There were times with Rachel in the beginning that I was really tempted to quit, but once it got better I was so glad I didn't!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-28-2010 - 5:30pm
I am so happy things worked out. I have never had problem myself before and I have to admire you women who keep it up even through those odds. I don't know if I could do it. I know who to go to if I do have problems in the future though. I hope the rest of your BF experience is uneventful. Trish.
siggy

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 11:03pm

Thanks everyone. You all are so supportive and it means so much to me. When it comes to BFing my family really doesn't understand why it is important to me. No one in the family BF or has really been around anyone who BFs. So when it gets hard they think the best thing for me to do is to quit so I "don't drive crazy." It is well intentioned I know, but I wish they understood how important it is to me.

Today was good. Very little pain and Brian Patrick only got 2 "top offs" again. :)

Maggie I didn't know that Aquaphor had lanolin in it. It works great on so many things. I don't know why I never thought to use it on my cracked nipples.

Hugs,

Martie

Martie

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 9:36pm
Martie
I am so so so glad to hear you say that. That is wonderful news. One day at a time my friend! This is awesome. Aquaphor has lanolin in it btw, isn't that funny (same thing in lansinoh)? Something about that combined with the petroleum jelly makes it really soothing, so glad it worked for you.
ivillage sig Thanks for the siggy butterfly746
ivillage sig Thanks for the siggy butterfly746
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 2:14pm
I'm glad things have gotten better, Martie. The grapefruit seed oil pills worked wonders for me, too. And Aquaphor really is great! I used it the other night on my chapped lips after I couldn't find my lip balm. Olive oil also works well in a pinch for breastfeeding dryness.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 12:35pm

Martie I am so happy to hear you good news!! I know how much you wanted to be able to BF and your doing it.

Lisa

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketBaby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge TickerPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 11:42am
So glad to hear things are going so much better!