After 5 kids of our own we are talking *

iVillage Member
After 5 kids of our own we are talking *
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 12:27pm
about adoption. We would like to adopt in the next few years but are unsure of the process here in Michigan and the process in general. Having 5 kids doesn't leave us a lot of $$$$ as you all know and adotion can get expensive. Any ideas?

I know suggestions and questions will come up about why not have any more of our own. Answer is simple. I had to have a hysterectomy due to a prolapse ans family history of cancer (uterine, cervical, and ovarian). Since I had pre term labor and was on bedrest for 4 of the 5, had a m/c and lost a twin in the last pg my dr's thought it best I not have anymore. I had extreme problems with the last pg that just about wrecked me and the baby.

DH and I always talked about a large family. Our oldest is 14 and the baby is 11 months. I know there are kids out there who need a home and we are a home who wants more kids! Where do we start?

Jodi

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 7:33am
Adoption through the state is completely free. The state will do a homestudy on your family and there are thousands of children waiting to be adopted through the state. In addition to charging you nothing for the adoption process, certain children (varies state to state and child to child--usually sibling groups, handicapped children and children over 7) are eligible for a monthly stipend from the state until they are 18 years old. There are other "perks" some states offer like FL offers free college to any state college in FL to adopted fosters.

Good Luck!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 7:38am
Jodi,

I adopted my Ds Nigel from India and it was expensive.We're adopting again Internationally from China for our dd Lillie who's 8.But we plan on adopting two domestically too.Call your county Deptartment of family and Children's services.They should have a web site.I know where to look I'll check for you.The state pays for everything except the court costs to finalize.Then usually if the child is special needs(meaning has disabilities,black and over the age of 1) you can usually be reimbursed your adoption fees.That's the cheapest way to go.Feel free to email so we can talk more about adoption. oimom@comcast.net Adoption is so rewarding.I can't conceieve so without adoption I wouldn't be a momma.HTH

Renee

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 9:57am
I have adopted 2 children through the state and am in the process of adopting a sibling group of three. It has cost me nothing to adopt. If your state has a "purchase of service" contract and the child is special needs (in foster care, a member a sibling group, over 5 years of age, or a minority, or has a physical or emotional handicap... any one of these critria)the state will pay the expenses of the adoption up front so you are actually not even waiting for reimbersment. There is a interstate adoption program for adopting through other states as well as your home state also. Here is a photolisting by state of some of the children waiting to be adopted. http://www.comeunity.com/adoption/waiting/photolists.html#State%20Adoption%20Photolisting

Also some states offer subsidies for international adoptions as well. You will have to call your local family service office and find out what the requirements are in your state, but ussually you will have to complete a training program and complete a home study and home interview. A word of caution mke sure you tell them upfront you are interested only in adoption (unless you want to foster) otherwise you may get your heart set on a kid to find out that he or she is not legally free for adoption. In my experience they are so short foster parents that they will try to place children with you that are only in foster care (which sometimes is not a bad thing)but with foster care comes a whole lot of other issues. If you or anyone else has any questions feel free to email me dzach11@yahoo.com I am more knowledgeable about the laws in Missouri, but I so know the Federal rules and regs.

Denise
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 5:40pm
Hi,

I am new here but wanted to mention that we adopted a little girl last year from Haiti. Haiti is a great place to adopt from and it is less expensive then other countries if you don't want to adopt domestically. We adopted through Dr. Bernard, he is WONDERFUL to work with and our daughter was home about 2 months after he received our dossier. If you want more info you can E-mail me privately at fiveangels4us@aol.com. Good luck whatever you decide!

Tracey