chore charts anyone?

iVillage Member
chore charts anyone?
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 8:26am
This system seems intriguing...I know a few families that use this. Do you think this would work in your household? Why or why not?

Anne

http://www.familytools.com/pegs.htm

iVillage Member
In reply to: dpa1
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 9:22am
1. PEGS would cost us a fortune and take up an entire wall.

2. My kids would probably lose all the disks within the month, and I'd get sick of picking them up off the floor with my fingernails.

3. We'd forget what day we were on--were these disks flipped yesterday or last week or what? It'd be better, imho, to just get a great big laminated weekly chart going with a bunch of dry-erase markers--if you're inclined to work under such structure in the first place.

4. The biggest problem I've had with all four thousand "systems" I've tried over the years (with varying degrees of success) is that I lack the time for constant reminders and to personally check up on the chores time and time again to see that they are done to acceptable standards.

5. We also (as many mentioned in response to Jen's newfound system) lack both the wherewithal and the inclination to pay for chores that are just part of living in a family.

6. I am completely SICK of the "what's in it for ME" and "How sloppily can I do this and still get away with it" attitudes around here. To say nothing of what I'm likely to do the next time I hear some teenage primadonna snipping about how the little ones don't have to do as much as they do...

We are "between systems" right now. Previously we had the best luck with just assigning each child a month or so with a given "area"--one to fold laundry, one to take care of the bathrooms, etc--and not allowing any privileges until that area was maintained. Before you got a snack, or went out to play, or got permission to go to so-and-so's birthday party, or were allowed to converse on the phone, you had to have your room, homework, and chores done, and your pets cared-for. If I walked into a room in the house and it wasn't up to specs, I knew exactly who to call on it.

Lately I just got sick of the same kids never doing ANYTHING, while others gave that as an "excuse" for not doing their own jobs, and said, "FINE. NOW EVERYONE IS GOING TO WORK ON EVERYTHING TOGETHER." It doesn't matter whose "turn" it is, or what Becky did or did not do. We just need to learn to work efficiently and with decent attitudes and without regard for "other people's business", so we quit caring about fairness. (At least, I quit caring about fairness...lol!) This way I can keep an eye out for "slackers" without spending my day roaming the house looking for them, and I've found they just work a lot better if I'm there to work with them, cheer them, show them better ways of getting jobs done, and keep the "lazies" with me to finish the job while others who worked more effectively go on to better things.

It'll be interesting to see where others come out on this...great topic!

Jenn.

iVillage Member
In reply to: dpa1
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:17am
Here is my system for chores. It isn't creative, but it works in my house. I wouldn't buy the peg system, because it just looks like something else I would have to pick up, once the little ones discover it and throw the little disks into a purse as their "money".

We have a dry erase board that sticks on the front of the fridge. Instead of using it for a month, we use it for a week. On the side of the calendar, is everyone's name (yes,we go outside the month but I continue the grid down into the "notes" area). I put all the activities up on the calendar that each child has to be at during the week. As you can imagine, Saturday's look awful, but I can look at it and see where I can be, which child needs to bum a ride from a friend and where I can assign my DH to go. Under the child's name is their weekly chore (example: load dishwasher, feed dog, set table, ect. It is changed every Sunday.) The kids have their daily chores that are not posted (make bed, pick up room, homework). They know if they don't do their assigned task, one of their siblings will do their job, in return, the other person needs to do their's, which is usually a very undesirable one. This usually prompts them to, for example, feed the dog because if they don't they just may end up doing dog poop patrol that afternoon.

I have given up on nagging my teen and preteen daughters to constantly clean their rooms. The rule is, I ask once nicely, if they ignore me, they will come home to a nice clean room. I don't snoop, I don't read diaries, I just clean. But I rarely have to do it. They get the message. Mom has been there and did she find that note from my friend or that bad Algebra test? The answer is yes. So study and clean your room!

Julianne and the great 8