For moms of girls

iVillage Member
For moms of girls
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 10:53am
Does anyone have any tips for organizing the billions of hair things that little girls like? Especially hair ribbons and head bands which don't really work with drawer organizers.

TIA,

Karen (only a lurker, but a lover of your helpful ideas)

iVillage Member
In reply to: karen_g
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 11:35am
I keep all of their hair stuff in a big basket that is in my room. I keep it in my room so it will stay in one place and relatively organized. That's what workes for us.

~Michelle, mom to 5 girls and 3 boys

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 6:47pm
Go through them and throw out the broken, unused, or unliked ones. For headbands, have the girls cover a Quaker oatmeal box with fabric and make it pretty. Then, just slip the headbands on. You can set it on a table or dresser or take the bottom and top of, string a thick, pretty ribbon through it and hang it from the ceiling. My girls aren't into this yet, but this is what I did when I was a little girl. Now, barretes and things give me headaches.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 8:24pm
We have a cute little wooden planter box type thingy on the bathroom counter that I got at Target. We also used to use the largest cannister in a set of antique wooden canisters I found for $5 at a yard sale, but now I use that for sewing notions (ribbons & elastic, etc).

~Heather (mom to 5 girls)

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 2:02pm
Karen, I have 2 girls (so far) and what we do is put all of their hair stuff in a clear plastic shoe organizer. Ours is the kind that hangs on a door. You can hang it on a bedroom or bathroom door or wherever is convenient. It works well for us and keeps everything organized- barrettes in 1 pocket, headbands in another, etc. I got it at Target.

Michelle

#5 due 12/12

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 8:35pm
We do something similar...the clear plastic shoebox storage tubs. I think we paid about $1 each at WalMart for the Rubbermaid brand. There is one for all the different types of rubberbands and hair scrunchies, one for U headbands, one for barrettes, one for the larger nicer bows, and one for their combs and brushes. I store them under one of their bathroom sinks. The other sink is organized similarly without the lids....all hair goo in one, nail polish (for play), one for feminine needs, etc.

Gabrielle

mom to 5 girls

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 9:13am
2c from a household of hair slobs (whose stuff is predominantly sitting right now in the drawer with the toothbrushes--spring cleaning sorrowfully incomplete):

You can buy hair organizers (I think Lillian Vernon has them) if you're obsessive-compulsive enough to actually use them. They have clear pockets and loops for headbands, and so on. We've tried similar approaches but find that we're too lazy--everything gets thrown into the bottommost pockets and falls on the floor when you try to grab the bottom item in said pocket. Hanging pretty, wide ribbon on the wall on which to clip barrettes was a similar failure, and in our house that oatmeal can for headbands would probably also fail miserably.

First--get rid of anything that is nasty (has toothpaste on it or hasn't been worn by two kids in a row, whatever). Then, grab anything that goes with a specific dress, stick it in a sandwich ziploc, and skewer it on the hanger with the dress so you can find it when you need it.

My own hair things I just throw into a basket on my dresser. I clip pairs of barrettes together and put bobby pins in one of those weird little vases the kids made in art class, and it's a good system. My 2yo's things-including her own brush-are kept similarly in her cupboard, in a school-supply box with a handle. You can either use a single communal box or basket or give each kid her own. Ribbons I'd just throw in the box, myself, or if you're compulsive enough you can clothespin them to a hanger. The only one who wears ribbon at our house is that 2yo; if the others need ribbon for some special "do" they just use curling ribbon, which is both cute and disposable.

HTH...

Jenn (mom to 8 girls)