Stressful mealtimes

iVillage Member
Stressful mealtimes
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 2:54pm

Mealtimes lately are a nightmare. When Gavin sees food he wants it and he wants it immediately. I know this sounds like Kim's post, but the difference is Gavin is soothed when the food is ready. The problem is he screams and cries the whole time I am making it. Even if it is just a scrambled egg that takes two minutes to make, he is already crying. It's not an extreme hunger issue because he does it anytime he sees food, it doesn't matter if he's just eaten or not. I tell him just a minute and he knows that the food is coming but it doesn't matter. We never take him out to eat because he can't sit at the table and not eat, we give him snacks to keep him from screaming because nothing else disracts him. By the time the meal comes

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 8:19pm

Hi Lauren-

That sounds very frustrating--I can feel your stress, frantically trying to whip up something while he is screaming.

My thought

Breastfeeding Mama Blinky Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 8:57pm

How much does he weigh and how tall is he? You mentioned that he's on the 85th growth curve line. Has he been on the same growth curve for awhile or has he jumped?

Just in reading your post, one of my concerns is that your DS is going to be at an unhealthy weight if he keeps eating like this. My DS was on the 50th percentile for weight for the longest time and then started to jump lines so he is now on the 97th percentile. He also jumped from the 75th to to 97th for height. However, my DS is actually now a little bit heavy for his height.

What is your son drinking during the day? How much? When does he drink? Or if he is still nursing, how often and when? I'm wondering if he has some of the same issues with drinking or if he isn't drinking enough fluids during the day. I've read that adults will often eat when they are thirsty, but I don't know if this is true for toddlers too.

How active is he during the day? Is he always on the go and moving around? How much does he nap and sleep at night? Does he move around a lot when he is sleeping too? Maybe he's burning a ton of calories if he is a super active toddler.

Is this a new behavior? Any other changes that have been happening around this time like dropping a nap or eating new foods or growing in height?

It sounds like your DS might not know when he is full. Some of the suggestions other people provided for reducing how many calories he consumes are good ideas too.

Have you talked with your pediatrician about this? Maybe the pediatrician will have some ideas for you.

09-Melanie.jpg Isabelle and Marcus picture by MathMelanie

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 5:04pm

Caren,

I think one of my biggest fears about letting him eat as much as he wants is the risk of obesity. He is already on the big side and that is with me monitoring how much he eats. He also still refluxes occasionally so I try to keep that in mind when deciding what and how much to feed him.

I do like the idea of him "helping" me cook.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 5:15pm

Stefanie,

I have the Gerber puffs, but I never considered that there would be such a difference in brands! I will definitely have to try those. We usually use those or Cheerios for him to snack on. I'm afraid if I taught him the signs for "more" and "all done" I would constantly be seeing him sign "more, more, more".

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 5:26pm

Melanie,

Gavin is 14 months old and 26 lbs. I haven't measured his length recently, but at 12 months he was 31 inches. He has been in the 80ish percentile since birth on weight and length.

He drinks 2 cups of milk a day divided up with meals and snacks and usually 1-2 cups of water throughout the day.

He can be a busy baby, but not overly active. He crawls to get where he needs to go and then he might sit and read a book or quietly play with a toy. He's not constantly moving, and I wouldn't call him a bump on a log, but he's somewhere in between.

I haven't mentioned it to the pediatrician yet because the last time we saw him was at 12 month appt and G was still on some baby food and some bottles. It seems to be more of a problem now that he is eating "adult" meals. I do try to make them balanced with plenty of fruits/veggies/protein and I try to make low-fat substitutions (grilled cheese on whole wheat with low-fat cheese or baked chicken with fresh veggies) but I do admit that sometimes he gets the "good" stuff, like a few french fries when we go out.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 7:09am

Caren - what does it mean if they lick things excessively?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 12:42pm

I did go hmmm - that's odd when he licked the side of our house. But I also thought he was doing it for attention. I was working and on the computer which Jake does not like so he called my name, put both hands on the house and licked it. I told him no and went back to the PC - he continued this game until I stopped paying attention to the pc. He does still put everything in his mouth - but it's not something he does to calm himself. These days the licking seems to be done specifically for a reaction - he always makes sure that I am watching him.

He does lick less and less so unless he kicks it back up again I'll assume it was just a phase or an attempt to get attention from Mommy!

Thanks as always for your insight!
Cathy

Photobucket

Photobucket

jake_11_16_08

Photobucket