Little Mack

iVillage Member
Little Mack
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 3:12am

Hi Ladies,
I hope you are all well. I thought I would post a little about Mack since I guess I need to talk about it.

Mackenzie has been diagnosed with mild CP and is doing well. She is walking all over the place but is very clumsy and has a hard time keeping herself up for long. She also has some interesting Sensory Processing issues which have really begun to affect her and how she relates to us and others.

We have been in the same daycare since 2007 with Fiona and have loved it. We were asked last week to find other arrangements for Mack because of her sensory difficulties. We were not surprised really but were hoping we could get through it. We have been waiting for a sensory OT to come from Oahu to help us since July. Luckily I got a call this week and she is coming on the 22nd of this month. We have decided to hire a nanny for Mack so that she can stay at home and in a more appropriate environment for her needs. My mom will watch her 2 days a week and take her to a traveling pre-school and the nanny will come to our home for 3 days (at twice the price of what we were paying at daycare!)

So, things have been tough here. She has pulled out most of the hair on both sides of her head. We are reading a ton and searching out any help we can find for her. Easter Seals is expecting her to qualify for the special education preschool (which is at my school) next October when she turns 3. If we can just get through the next year of daycare we will then be in the state system and get OT services through school.

Anyway...thanks for reading. Our journey has been very different than I had expected but also very full of love and support. DH and I are working together on this and have begun a workout program together which has helped us a lot. Fiona is suffering a bit and is seeing a counselor to help her with it all. We'll get through it. We always do.

Hugs to you all and to your babies.
Annie

iVillage Member
In reply to: annieg99
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 1:45pm

Annie-

I was thinking about you recently and thinking about emailing you to check in.

I am sorry to hear about your struggles with Mack; although some of these are new, I know that they have never really let up. The daycare issue must have been a huge blow for you. I

Breastfeeding Mama Blinky Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 1:29am

Thank you for the update Annie. I often wonder about Mack and her progress, but I know you don't share everything very publicly.

As always, you seem to find solutions and resources that will work for your family. I don't know how you do it all while working full-time too. You are super mom in my book:)

09-Melanie.jpg Isabelle and Marcus picture by MathMelanie

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 3:57pm
Thank you so much Caren. You always say wonderful things...
We started with the Nanny yesterday and I already see that we made the right choice. Our last day at the daycare was met with frustration and I could tell she was happy to see us go. I'm not going to press the issue about Mack's rights because I think it is mutual. The irony is that our caregiver has a son with some difficult special needs and she is known around the community as a very difficult parent. So, we found it odd to get such much resistance from her. Anyway...Mack is now loved and cared for at home in a quieter environment and can go at her speed.
The OT is coming! Yes! I had to fill out a survey with EI yesterday and complained that there are not adequate services on our island for kids with special needs. Mack should see a sensory OT once a week and not twice a year. Hopefully one day we'll see more training appear for the OTs on our island. We find ourselves feeling guilty about where we've chosen to plant roots. But, there are things here our kids can't have anywhere else too so we are going to educate ourselves as much as we can and be her advocates.
Again, thanks for the support. You know how this road can be and it is nice to have people behind you who understand it at a deeper level.
Many hugs to JB and his successes along the way.
Annie
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 4:00pm
Hi Melanie,
Thanks for the thoughts.
For some reason I feel uncomfortable sharing Mack's struggles on FB so I share here where I feel safer. Fiona dominates my posts there I guess. :) Keeping it light. :)
Hugs to I and M.
Annie
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 11:54am

Hi Annie,

Just checking in to say I read your post. It sounds like you are doing all the right things with Mack. It really sucks about the day care. My nephew is in a day care where there's another boy who is scratching and biting the other kids, and they haven't kicked him out even though they should. There really isn't any justice. I am glad that you feel well rid of that place, though.

Hang in there and keep us posted. We are rooting for you.

Cheers,

Witzz
Mom to Lucy, 4.7

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 5:46am

Annie,

Hugs!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-20-2010 - 11:43pm

Annie,

I am glad I came over here to see your update.

Signature 2010

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2010 - 11:24pm
i can't believe there are no OTs training in sensory processing on the island at all!! in EI in illinois, we have staff who part of their job is to do child find and recruitment for providers. however, OT is the biggest challenge in the chicago suburbs as well. makes me think maybe i should go back to school to do OT... i'm sorry you're having such a hard time with the OT but it sound like you guys are on top of everything else with fiona and mack! keep it up!
Photobucket
TTC #2