Fri, 07-23-2010 - 5:02pm

julie

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 11:27pm

Thank you for your responses.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 8:47am

Hi Julie,

I truly do believe that it is environmental, for the most part.

Powered by CGISpy.com
Mom to furangel, Chelse
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 9:27am

So, what kinds of things that you were exposed to do you think caused it?

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 10:01am

Lauren Sue (our CL here) was diganosed much earlier than I was.

Powered by CGISpy.com
Mom to furangel, Chelse
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 12:06pm
i think this pd comes from alot of places and effects people differently i froget to say i grew up in the mid west in afairly big city so wasnt exposed to alot of things but they think becasue i was a very heathly kid it could have brought this on i didnt have the normal childhood diesease didnt have the flu until around 13 didnt know anybody could due such awful things thye all ahve such different things they think cause the pd but then no two people have pd a like gail
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 8:45pm

Hi Julie,

Welcome to the Parkinson's board. I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond to your post sooner but, as Chris briefly explained, I had a lot of things going on last week including my daughter's bout with viral meningitis.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's advancing case of Parkinson's. What an emotional time for your family. And I was sorry to read of your Mother's passing a decade ago after struggling with Parkison's.

now you asked: " had heard that only the early on-set (like Michael J. Fox) was hereditary." If I remember correctly, Michael J. Fox is the only one in his family who has had PD and his is not hereditary. I do recall them thinking it may have been environmental (like a pesticide exposure or some other cause) as there was a cluster of people who worked on a Canadian sitcom with him when he was younger who came down with the disease, too. Although we do have two members on the this board that I can think of off the top of my head with family members who have Parkinson's (Chris & Ruth both have mother's with PD)

The mayo Clinic said this plan & simple on their site about Parkinson's:

Heredity. Having a close relative with Parkinson's increases the chances that you'll also develop the disease, although your risk is still no more than about 4 to 6 percent.

and from an online PD guide:

Parkinson’s disease is not generally thought to be a hereditary disease in that it doesn’t get passed from one generation to another, however the risk of getting the disease if someone in your family has it is slightly increased. Genetic factors are linked this way just as heart disease and diabetes are, though the exact reason why genetic factors are increased remains unclear.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 9:20pm

okay, I'm back to add more to my previous post (assuming Daniel is finally asleep for the night). Now I agree with those who think your Brother's is environmental, especially when you said:

"My brother did alot of welding" Welding has been considered a possible cause of PD.

if you do a simple google search typing Welding and Parkinson's you'll see a ton of Lawyer sites come up

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 8:21am

Hi Lauren Sue,

Thanks for your response.

Pages