Another Day

iVillage Member
Another Day
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 11:47pm

A day in my life. Its Wednesday 8:00 am .The lake just open ed (Lake Mission Viejo, a mile and a half away) I’m positioned at the end of the pier that extends about 60 feet into the lake. Its warm already and the water is smooth and calm. My baited line lies on the lake bottom. The worm on my hook doesn’t know but his time is up. Suddenly my pole jerks down almost out of my hand. It’s ae huge bass. MY pole bends and my line stretches as I fought to reel that big guy in. It must be BIg Bertha . A fifteen-pound bass that gets caught and released every few weeks. As I reel it in a well-meaning boy grabs a net and reaches for the fish. I think to myself oh man don’t blow it for me. The fish was big enough I could use the help but some of these kids don’t know how to carefully net big bass. One wrong move and the fish gets away. Well, IT happened the kid knocked the bass as he was attempting to net the big guy. I was really disappointed . I thanked the kid for attempting to net the big BASS. That bass is always released because its Its those big guys that help to keep the Bass population from getting to low.

iVillage Member
In reply to: lxsgp
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 6:48am

Great story Ruben!

I kind of feel sorry for "the kid" - I'm sure he was as disappointed as you were! Maybe he learned something there about being a little more patient in those moments of great expectations! It was also really thoughtful of you to just thank him and let it go...

Besides, when you think about it, you had the best of both worlds... you got to haul in a lunker and didn't have to fool around with getting it off the hook and back in the water without harming it or yourself in the process! LOL

Have a great day knowing that "big one" is still alive and well and ready to give you another chance!

Marty

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 7:09am

Marty, some guy caught a 50 pound catfish here

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 8:49am
Wow!!!