The Friday Five...for May 23

iVillage Member
The Friday Five...for May 23
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 11:16pm
In honor of Memorial Day this coming Monday and the Holiday Weekend ahead of us, my Friday five will have a Memorial Day Theme this week:

1) Do you have anyone in your immediate family (self included) who is presently or has served in the military?

2) Is there anyone special you will be remembering this Memorial Day?

3) Do you do anything special in honor of Memorial Day (parade, ceremony, church service, visiting a cemetery, cook-out with your family, other)?

4) What’s your favorite thing to cook on the grill?

5) What are your plans this holiday weekend?

Have a Safe and Super Holiday Weekend…

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 11:22pm
1) My father spent time in the Army before I was born. My great grandfather was a doctor in the army and I had several cousins and uncles serve time in the military.

2) I have many loved ones I will be remembering this Memorial Day, but I’ve never known anyone personally who has died in service. Having grown up near Washington, DC, I have attended many services in honor of Memorial Day at Arlington National Cemetery and it’s a very moving experience.

3) Just as my Daughter’s Volleyball organization held a tournament on Easter Sunday, they are holding one this weekend, as well! Nothing is sacred in the world of Sports. I think that began when football became synonymous with Thanksgiving Day, lol.

4) I love to eat my Mom’s hamburger’s she makes and Dad prepares on the grill. They’re the best!

5) As I mentioned in #3, we are headed out of State for a big Volleyball tournament. It runs from Friday night through to Monday. Monday also happens to be my oldest daughter’s 14 birthday! I don’t know which is gonna make me feel older, chasing a toddler for 4 days around a crowded sports arena or having a child about to enter High school. YIKES! So wish me luck as we face 10 hours in the car this weekend with a 2 year old!

Have a Great Weekend Everyone!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 12:27am
1. I was in Air FOrce 4 years..

2. Uncles, 2nd world war..

3. Not regularly, watch ceremonies on tv/

4. Rib Eye steak, I dont have more than 7 oz

5. Going on boat ride at nearby lake. Its a party boat, we'll have a picnic lunch. Just

daughter's family and wife.

ruben

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 1:07am
1) No one in my immediate family. several of my cousins served. my cousin tom went to annapolis and spent 20 yrs, retiring as a lt commander.

2) My dad was not allowed to enlist in WWII. he owned a company that manufactured hatch cover cranes for cargo ships. this was considered an essential industry so he had a deferment. (he wasn't happy about it). the interesting part of the story is the nasty looks and comments he would get from people wondering why a big, healthy man wasn't in the service.

3) i don't do anything special. just remember and give thanks.

4) italian sausage or bratwurst. yummmm!

5) nothing special. maybe go to a movie

nick

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 9:08am
1) Do you have anyone in your immediate family (self included) who is presently or has served in the military? My dad.

2) Is there anyone special you will be remembering this Memorial Day? All military

3) Do you do anything special in honor of Memorial Day (parade, ceremony, church service, visiting a cemetery, cook-out with your family, other)? cookout

4) What’s your favorite thing to cook on the grill? t-bone when we can afford it.

5) What are your plans this holiday weekend? grill at my mother in law's.

Barbara

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 11:33am
1. Tim was in the navy, brother in air force, granddad I never knew in the royal air force

2. Grandad although I did not know him. If not for him, mom wouldn't be here, nor me of course.

3. picnic, party. usually go camping, but not this year. Kids are going to seattle with sis for the whole weekend, tim and I are getting the house ready for his mom who will be here on Wednesday.

4. I love anything cooked on the grill! (especially because that's Tims area, he cooks on the grill and I just get to enjoy!) Steak is the best.... yum!

5. Making the house ready for mom in law. She has bad allergies to dust & cigarette smoke. Lots of dust at my house, but she never complains. I DO NOT smoke anywhere around her, and I even wash up after I do smoke before I go near her. I know she knows I smoke, I just never indulge around her because her throat closes up and it's real scary. I love her and want her to be able to enjoy her visit without any "attacks". Soooooo... the kids are away and we will be cleaning. OH JOY! My favorite thing to do- UGH!

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-24-2003 - 7:26am
1. I spent 4 years in the army security agency, one year in Viet Nam and 14 months in Thailand. My dad was in WWII.

2. All who have sacrificed for the benefit of others.

3. Unfortunately no. Just try to get away, enjoy the long weekend and the official beginning of "summer" in Minnesota.

4. Juicy steaks!

5. Planning on heading up to the cabin today and getting in a little fishing. Back tomorrow evening and hopefully getting together with family on Monday.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-25-2003 - 7:55pm
Better Late than never...

1...Immediate family in military...My Brother is retired from the Navy

His wife was injured in Desert Storm and has a Medical Discharge.

My husband served 2 years in the Navy..Also 2 Uncles.

2...All the military that are laid to rest in cemetarys all over the world.

3...Cook out with family

4...Steak ( Medium Rare )

5..Left Friday morning for a wonderful 2 days with Daughter and Son-in-law.

Home today and will spend tomorrow at other daughters for a cook out.

God Bless America....Love Jane