The Friday Five For May 30th...

iVillage Member
The Friday Five For May 30th...
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 8:33am
It’s time for the FRIDAY FIVE…this week’s poll is rather PHONEY, play along if you wish:

1) Who was the last person you talked to on the phone?

2) How many phones do you have in your house?

3) Do phone solicitors drive you crazy? How do you treat them when they call?

4) I know caller ID makes this near impossible these days, but have you ever received any funny prank phone calls (or done them yourself as a child).

5) What are you doing over this last weekend in May?

Have a Safe and Super Weekend everyone!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 9:49am
1) Who was the last person you talked to on the phone?

My Husband.

2) How many phones do you have in your house?

9 Phones (I have this fear of falling and not having a phone nearby, so I like to have a phone in almost every room, lol)

3) Do phone solicitors drive you crazy? How do you treat them when they call?

I try to be polite and quickly tell them I'm not interested and hang up. Afterall, they're just trying to make a living...but if I get several in a row, I may not be so polite, lol. We constantly get Fax machines calling our house and that drives me NUTS, especially when they come 4 in a row in the wee hours of the morning.

4) I know caller ID makes this near impossible these days, but have you ever received any funny prank phone calls (or done them yourself as a child)?

I know we used to make prank calls from time to time when I was little, but I can't remember any of them off the top of my head.

5) What are you doing over this last weekend in May?

My oldest daughter, 14, has her 8th grade dance, so that's our big excitement for the weekend. She wants to get her nails down (since Volleyball season is over), so she's getting that done tonight and then the dance is tomorrow. She's going with a big group of her girl friends. Since she has her dance, she won't be going with her brother and sister to their Dad's for the weekend. I'll be driving them to Virginia tonight. For the rest of the weekend, we're just going to be trying to catch up on yard work. With all this rain we've had in our area (nearly every day for May with rainfall), the grass has gotten out of control!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 9:55am
1) my wife emily

2) we have six phones: 1 downstairs, 1 in each of our offices, 1 in the master bedroom, 1 fax line, and emily's cel phone

3) phone solicitors drove us crazy until we got on the colorado no-call list. a solicitor who calls anyone on the list can be fined.

4) i've never been a fan of prank calls, giving or receiving

5) no specific plans. may go to a movie

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 11:39am
1.my daughter 2.3 phones 3.we have a no call list here in MO. they don't call afraid of fines 4.as a child we did at friens house before age 10 5. Babysitting my grandkids

Grams

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 2:04pm
1. I just hung up with my mom.

2. we have 2 phone lines, 5 actual telephones, and a fax machine.

3. I hte them! I start out polite, and if they are too pushy, I CAN get rude, but no more rude than they are when they won't take NO for an answer. The funnies thing though, a certain long distance carrier called and my hubby answered. he said no thank you, and she said "but sir, don't you want to save money?" lol... his answer: "NO! I have LOTS of money!" I have never laughed so hard, she was left speechless!!!! ha ha ha ha hee hee hee hee

4. LOL when we were 12, my best friend and I would call people on the phone and tell them we were part of a new program through the library and we were going to read stories over the phone to people. usually people would just say no and hang up. This one day we went through the whole schpeel and this lady was very interested. we started reading a Hardy Boys book to her and she was very quiet, we thought she hung up and my friend yelled into the phone "Are you listening?!?!" the lady said yes, so we kept reading. we ended up calling her every day until the book was done and she enjoyed it very much. lol, her friends probably thought she was crazy, and I can just imagine the look on the librarians face if she went there to ask for more. It started out to be a big prank, but ended up making someone feel good. :) Needless to say that when we tried calling people and playing music (me-flute, friend violin) we did NOT have such great success. EVERYONE hung up on us. Wow, have not thought of that in ages!!

5. It's Ashley's 16th birthday tomorrow!!! My mother in law is here from CA. Tomorrow I am going to give Ashley my grandma's ring. :( It is a family thing that started way back when......

My grandma got married just before WW2 and her hubby was in the RAF in england. he was a fighter pilot. My mom was born in 1941 while he was away and his plane was shot down over germany on sept 27, 1943. long story shorter, grandma and my baby mom moved to canada, grandma met and married my grandad(the one who had PD) and moved to detroit. On mom's 16th birthday grandma gave her the engagement ring from my moms father, with the promise that mom would give it to her first born daughter on her 16th birthday. Ok, mom gave it to me on my 16th birthday with the promise.... So I am having a really emotional day, knowing it is my last day with the ring. two years ago I went to Michigan to see my grandma. It was very sad as she had cancer and a DNR order was in place. While sitting with her in the hospital, she asked about the ring and was thrilled that I was wearing it. she looked at it, touched it, talked about it and made me promise to give it to Ashley on her 16th. Wow, I know I have to give it to ash, but I keep thinking that the ring was the focus of one of my last conversations with my grandma, and I want to keep it to keep her close to me. I will give it to her, there is no question about that, and I do believe she understands the importance of it.

THAT my friends is the huge thing I am doing this weekend. other than that, we are having a camp out party for ashley and her friends tomorrow, then the family party on sunday.

Love you guys, have a good weekend!! Susie

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 3:56pm
1. My daughter

2. 2 phones amd 1 cell phone

3. YEs theyt do. I tend to be abrupt with them

4. Yes and yes

5. Spending weekend at my daughters in San Diego, With grand kids.

ruben

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 4:44pm
Susie,

Your prank-phone-call story had me ROFLMBO! So neat that your prank turned into a something positive for all involved. Thanks for the laugh.

And your story about your grandma was so touching. This is a big moment for you all and you know there's a special angel in Heaven watching over her on her 16th birthday.

Happy 16th Birthday Wishes to Ashley!

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 7:41pm
1. My wife (Julie)

2. Three that are connected - more that aren't (that's what happens when you move from a big house to a little house....)

3. Yes. I thank them for the call but let them know I'm NOT interested.... I do try to be as polite as I can as long as they get the message.

4. The occasional youngster calling - Personally, I've never been interested in making prank calls.

5. Nephew's graduation "open house" tomorrow (Saturday)but for the most part I'll be working on the house.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 10:49pm
Ok here we go....

1 Last person to call...Daughter Nancy

2 We have 3 phones in house and 1 Cell Phone

3 Phone Solicitors are blocked out in PA...Just a click of the mouse

and they are gone forever..If they call, they are fined Big Time..

4 Prank Phone Calls...Don't like and don't make

5 This is our Anniversary and we will be going out to Dinner..YEH

Bye for now...Just Jane

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 10:05am
Happy Anniversary Wishes To Dick & Jane!

Lauren Sue