THE FRIDAY FIVE for June 13, 2003

iVillage Member
THE FRIDAY FIVE for June 13, 2003
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 7:27am
Friday Five for June 13, 2003:

Once again, it's time for the FRIDAY FIVE. Play along, if you wish, as we get to know each other just a little bit better. Since Father’s Day is Sunday and today is Friday The 13th, this week’s questions have to do with those:

1) What did your father do/or does for a living?

2) Tell us something memorable (funny or special) you’ve ever given or received as a father’s day gift.

3) What is one special moment you remember of your Father or Father Figure?

4) It’s Friday the 13th… Is there a superstition (black cats, walking under ladders, spilling salt, other) you still find yourself avoiding, even if you say you don’t believe in superstitions?

5) What are your plans this weekend?

HAVE A SAFE & SUPER WEEKEND EVERYONE!

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 9:12am
1. My father had a barber shop in Los Angeles for about 30 years.

2. Toss up between deep sea fishing trip or a surprise birthday party.

3. An over night deep sea fishing trip ( I got sea sick).

4. Nope

5. Fathers day brunch with family.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 9:54am
1) What did your father do/or does for a living?

My father was drafted in the Army, graduated from American University, Worked for Secret Service, then as a Director For Programs for The Bicentennial of the United State, then several other various goverment jobs and now he is the oldest (70) employee for an International Union. Can you tell I'm proud of my Dad?

2) Tell us something memorable (funny or special) you’ve ever given or received as a father’s day gift.

I was about 8 when this took place: my father was trying to fix an outlet in my Mother's Sewing room. Mom discovered an outlet on the wall behind the wall shelf and decided to plug something in there, but the outlet wouldn't work. Dad took the outlet apart, checked wires, checked the fuse box, but he was baffled. Keep in mind, my Dad is not known for being a handyman...at that point I walked in and asked him what he was doing. When he told me he was trying to fix the outlet. I asked him "why don't you just flip the switch?" Mom and Dad had completely forgotten that not only is there an outlet behind the shelf but a Switch higher up on the very same wall, concealed behind a row of Encyclopedias. I moved a book, flipped the switch and solved the problem. That year I made a mug for him at Girl Scouts for father's day with an outlet drawn on the front. He still uses it to hold pencils on his desk.

3) What is one special moment you remember of your Father or Father Figure?

Having the chance to dance with my father any time we go somewhere (like weddings or whatever) where there is music or dancing. Dad loves to dance to Big Band Music.

4) It’s Friday the 13th… Is there a superstition (black cats, walking under ladders, spilling salt, other) you still find yourself avoiding, even if you say you don’t believe in superstitions?

Not really, but I do think it's interesting that so many buildings do not have a 13th floor. Theoretically they DO, but it's skipped in the numbering of the floors (like on the elevator key pad). Shows you how much an affect superstitions have on people.

5) What are your plans this weekend?

Catch up on housework and a Cook Out at my parent's on Sunday. They just celebrated their 49th Wedding Anniversary YESTERDAY!

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 8:41pm
Better Late than Never.Here is my Friday 5 for June 13th.

1 My father was an Engineer on the Pennsylvania Railroad.

2 Dad loved Chocolate Drops and that was always my special gift to him.

3 Every Sat. Evening, My father took my brother and me to Isalys for a

Ice Cream cone. My favorite flavor was Rainbow Ice Cream. YUM YUM

4 No I am not superstitious.

5 Daughter and Son-in-law came in to spend Fathers Day with us.

Hope all the Fathers out there had a Super Great Day...Love Jane