THE FRIDAY FIVE for the 4TH of JULY

iVillage Member
THE FRIDAY FIVE for the 4TH of JULY
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 12:09am
Friday Five for JULY 4, 2003:

Once again, it's time for the FRIDAY FIVE. Play along if you wish, as we get to know each other just a little bit better. Since it’s Independence Day in the United States of America, our questions will center on that this week:

1. Tell us a bit about one of your favorite July 4th celebrations from anytime in your life?

2. Do you enjoy firework displays? If so, is there a type of firework you like to see most (those screamer types, the big bangers, the big shower of stars, the pinks & greens, a simple sparkler or any other you can recall?)

3. Do you have any special plans for this Fourth of July?

4. What is one of your favorite historical places you’ve ever visited in America? If you’ve never been to America, what is one of your favorite historical places you’ve ever visited?

5. What are your plans this weekend?

Have A Safe & Super Weekend Everyone and Happy 4th of July!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 12:36am
1. Tell us a bit about one of your favorite July 4th celebrations from anytime in your life?

I loved the family parties we used to have at my Aunt Ruthie's, hosted along with my Grandmother, at their home on the lake. The fireworks went off just across the water from her back yard, the barges would be decorated and parade up and down the lake and it was wonderful to have all of the family together for the celebration. I miss those moments and I miss them dearly. Our last one together at the lake was in 1992.

2. Do you enjoy firework displays? If so, is there a type of firework you like to see most (those screamer types, the big bangers, the big shower of stars, the pinks & greens, a simple sparkler or any other you can recall?)

As a child I loved those pink & green showers of stars & sparkles because those were my two favorite colors.

Most likely heading to the Marina to see their firework display along with the kids.

4. What is one of your favorite historical places you’ve ever visited in America? If you’ve never been to America, what is one of your favorite historical places you’ve ever visited?

I loved touring all of the historical places in the New England area when my father was working for the Bicentennial of the America. I admit I tend to take DC for granted, since I've always lived so close, but I do love to visit there too. Too many to list of the historical places I enjoy visiting in DC.

Fireworks on the fourth and kickback with the kids for the rest of the weekend.

Happy 4th everyone.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 3:49am

A few years back we were invited to go along with some friends on their boat to watch fireworks that were being fired off from a small island in the middle of a local twin cities lake. We went early and anchored not far from the island. By the time the show started the lake was filled with boats. The show was truly spectacular! However, the most memorable part was trying to get off the lake after the show, along with hundreds of other boats! It was a night I will always remember.

I really enjoy them all!

I had hoped to go to the lake however working on the house has taken a priority. We will still take the time to celebrate the 4th, of course, by taking in the local offerings for fireworks etc.

Washington DC (Everywhere you go!!!!!)

Working on the house...

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 8:09am
1...I have no favorite. We always get together with Family and Friends

and have a big picnic and watch the local fireworks.

2...I love fireworks especially the big Finale at the end.

3...We will be at our youngest daughters place..She has taken over

the July 4th Picnic..Last year we had between 60 and 70 friends and

family. Everyone brings there favorite Picnic Food. I made my famous

Seafoam Salad, just finished baking the Chocolate Bundt Cake, and will

put together a Crock Pot of Beans. ( Will go on a diet tomorrow )

4...Favorite Historical place.....WASHINGTON D.C. Love this place..

5...Today is the big Picnic...Tomorrow we will hit the Fair Grounds for

the annual Country Craft Show, Sunday will be early Church and then

Dick and Jane will Crash, Diet, and Sleep...

Have a Wonderful 4th of July...God Bless America....Love Jane

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 9:30am
Jane,

If it's not a big secret, you'll have to share the recipe for your famous Seafoam Salad with us in the recipe folder!

Have a great weekend. Sounds like your daughter's party will be a blast.

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 9:38am
Marty,

You've mentioned in several Friday Five's and in chat that you'll be "working on the house". It sounds like such a labor of love. What type of work have you been doing and what work lies ahead? Sounds interesting.

Have a great fourth!

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 3:57pm
Hi to all and a Happy July 4th from not-to-sunny Florida.

Favorite time: Viewing fireworks displayed on a football field when my children were growing up and now watching the bang up display at the Marina with the any of the grandchildren who can be here.

Favorite type: I like all the sparkling lights spreading across the darkness, it is a beautiful sight. Being with family members makes the time special.

Place of American history: I was so impressed with the Statue Of Liberty and the information on display, it really made all the American history that I had studied thru the years come alive.

Day of Rest: I have been really tired from a busy week so I am enjoying a day of rest.

Thank God for the ones who have established our great America and for the ones who have given their lives for Fredom.

Not sure I did the Fri. 5 in order, Ann

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 11:41pm
Lauren Sue,

Thanks for asking about the house!

When my wife and I decided to move out here we had in mind finding an older house that needed some work and therefore save a little on the purchase price. We felt we could afford for me to take some time away from working a normal job to do any remodeling myself.

The home we purchased is a rambler, built in 1970. It has a full basement, very open and very clean, but the house itself had some sort of paneling in every room. Initially, we were just going to remove paneling and sheet rock the appropriate walls. Of course, as most projects do, this quickly took on a life of it's own and now has evolved into re-insulating all the outside walls, a new kitchen, a new master bath, new windows and doors, and sheet rocking nearly every wall in the house.

You might wonder why we didn't just build a new house. Actually I've asked myself the same thing. In reality, the structure here is solid and so far, I have been able to do just about everything myself. I could never have done it all if we were to have built new.

That’s the good news.

The bad news is I’m not as fast as I used to be and it’s taking a lot longer that we initially thought. Also, because we’re living here as well, it makes everything that much more stressful. (Julie’s still waiting for a kitchen range, which we have new in the garage but we’re not quite ready for it in the new kitchen. Hopefully in the next week or so…) The pressure is on…

Anyway, again thanks for asking. Sometimes it feels good to stop and look at the entire project. It’s only then that I realize how much I have done and I don’t feel so bad about how much I have to do!

Marty

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 7:23am
Dear Marty , Thanks for the up-date on the house. Sounds like you

are making a lot of progress.

While Dick was still working, we found a little Ranch House that was for

sale .A little house that was an Original Sears Catalog home. Dicks

dream had always been to restore a house. After a lot of discussion,

we bought it. It took Dick 2 years of working week-ends and evenings,

but he DID IT.He turned the house over to our daughter and new husband

and they lived in it till there first child was born and sold it for a

nice profit. We have lots of memories of that little house. Oh yes,

I was in charge of removing all the layers of Wallpaper.

Have fun Marty and keep us up-dated....Jane
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2003 - 1:25pm
Thanks for answering my question Marty. I bet it's a real feeling of satisfaction to see your work completed and to know that you did it all by yourself. It has to be such a personal reward. You already answered my next question to you, which was going to be "how has the PD affected your efforts in remodeling", when you said "The bad news is I’m not as fast as I used to be and it’s taking a lot longer than we initially thought." Nevertheless, I imagine the strength you need to accomplish each task provides great exercise, which is really important for a person with Parkinson's. Did you take before & after pictures? That would be neat to see.

I'm glad you not only described the work but the actual house itself. I can really picture it in my mind because it sounds JUST like the homes in the neighborhood where my parents live and I grew up. The neighborhood was a mixture of ramblers just like yours and two stories like my parents. They bought the first home built in the neighborhood in 1965, which puts your home and my parent's around the same time. My parents have since hired contractors to redo rooms and add on features. My 70 year old father still isn't retired and doesn't have the time to do the work himself. Many of their friends wonder why they didn't just buy a new home but they've loved this home and the neighborhood and want to live their forever. Part of their remodeling included a handicap friendly masterbath (both of my parents are healthy, but they were doing this so they could continue to stay in this home even if one were to get ill). Despite all of the remodeling they've done over the years, the paneling they put on the basement walls in 1970 still remains and I really doubt it will ever get removed!

Congrats to you on all of your work! Good luck getting the range in for Julie and I hope you can still find time for your fishing and your car.

Lauren Sue