The FRIDAY 5 For JULY 18

iVillage Member
The FRIDAY 5 For JULY 18
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 6:45am
The FRIDAY 5 For JULY 18

Once again, it's time for the FRIDAY FIVE. Play along, if you wish, as we get to know each other just a little bit better. This week’s Five is about CARS!

1. Do you have a car? If so, what kind of car is it?

2. What was the first car you ever drove?

3. What is your Dream Car?

4. Have you ever talked yourself out of a ticket? If so, can you share the story?

5. What are your plans this weekend?

HAVE A SAFE & SUPER WEEKEND EVERYONE AND DRIVE SAFELY!!!!

Edited 7/18/2003 7:47:54 AM ET by cl-lsb210

Edited 7/18/2003 7:59:50 AM ET by cl-lsb210

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 7:59am

I drive the typical Mom Taxi: a 99 dodge grand caravan

a 1978 powder blue Pontiac Lemanz with blue vinyl seats (my parents bought it in 78 and then gave it to me when I was 17, in 1984)

a chauffered limo delivered to my house (along with a nanny and a maid for the house...shoot, I'll take a chef and a landscape artist for the yard, too)

4. Have you ever talked yourself out of a ticket? Is so, can you share the story?

Once I ran a yellow light but got pulled over. I was in full stage makeup and fancy hair as I had JUST finished opening night of FUNNY GIRL, in which I was playing Fanny Brice, but I was dressed in a big oversized sweater of my boyfriends and jeans. I'm sure the police officer didn't quite know what to think of me. And I was talking NONSTOP about how I was just so excited about opening night and I was meeting the cast for pizza and "oh, officer, I'm so sorry". He laughed and said I should be careful...and to break a leg for the rest of the show.

Visiting my parents today with the kids and getting the tire that blew on my car (yes, while I was driving on the highway) replace. Good thing it's under warrenty. Football Team picnic for my son on Saturday and NOT DOING LAUNDRY all weekend, since my new washer and dryer arrive on Monday, WOO HOO!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 11:08am
1. Yes, Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer, cherry condition, 91

2. 51 ford

3. Bemer(BMW 350 series)

4. Yes, I was in military at the time, home on leave. Wareing my uniform. The policeman couldnt write me up. Hecck I ws onlydooin 10 miles over limit

5. Couple times.

ruben

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 11:28am
1) I am now a carless person. my 23 year old Subaru finally reaching a point where it was no longer worth maintaining. I called a wreaker, who agreed on the phone to buy it and haul it away for $40. When he saw the car, he tried to tell me he would pay only $20. We finally agreed on $25.

It's been a bit depressing not being able to go when I want to. When i can't use Emily's car, I've been taking the bus, which, although time consuming, has not been too bad. Our income right now doean't allow us to even think about a new vehicle, so for the time being, we're a one car family.

2) My first car was an Ford Cortina I purchased at a bank auction. There was a complication. it was a stick shift and I had never driven one before. I was almost in tears by the time i got home. I never prayed so hard that I would make all the lights before, but then ,It's amazing how fast you can learn when you have to.

3) I've always wanted a Porsche 911. I'd never be able to get one now because I'd never be able to get in and out. I still love the look of them, though

4) I was driving my girl freind from Phoenix to San Diego to take the graduate record exam. We were comimg out of the mountains outside Yuma, when I looked in the mirror and there was the highway patrol. i stopped and as I was getting out of the car, Jeanne said "Oh my God". I remember looking at her and thinking "It's not that serious"

This was just before the 55 mph was made actual law. the patrolman asked me how fast I was going and I said I thought about 60. He said "Speedometers can be wrong." I thought " Oh Sh__! He Smiled, gave me a warning and said, "I just thought I'd let you know that the guys in California are real pricks. be careful" We shook hands and he left.

When i got back into the car, i asked Jeanne what was going on with her reaction to being stopped. It turns out she had two joints in her purse and was sure someone had called fron Phoenix to have us stopped and arrested. I was glad she hadn't told me as I was getting out of the car.

5) Just relaxing at home. It's too hot to do anything.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 11:28am
1. I drive a red 1997 plymouth neon expresso. We also have a dark purple 1994 Ford ranger (with the little jump seats that in 1994 fit the kids perfectly, now not so good) and Tim's work van is a burgundy and gray 1979 dodge sportsman van.

2. The first car I ever drove.... a lovely green gremlin. (MY first car was a 1972 plymouth duster)

3. My dream car is a 1969 camaro that has an engine that goes "blub blub blub blub" Someday I WILL have one!!!

4. I have never talked myself out of a ticket. I got pulled over once and got a ticket. The fine was reduced by half though.

5. CAMPING!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 11:32am
1. I own a green 1994 Mercury Cougar

2. a 1970 Ford stationwagon

3.A new Crown Victoria

4. I have only had one ticket, no didn't get out of it.

5. Well, grandson has one last T-ball game tonight , unless it rains. After that pretty much nothing.

You all have a great wekend .

Hugs Mary

Grams

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2003 - 11:33am

We have a 97 Nissan Altima and a 93 Chevrolet Lumina.

Dodge Aspen, hated it.

My dream car is a surburban but I will settle with a minivan. A Ford or a Dodge.

4. Have you ever talked yourself out of a ticket? If so, can you share the story?

uhhhhh, my neighbor across the street from us is a Highway Patrolman. He has helped us out a time or two. If you know what I mean?

We were going to go canoeing but we did not have enough people to go with us. So on Sunday we are taking Jessica and Ashley to the movies for the first time to see Finding Nemo.

Barbara

Edited 7/19/2003 1:14:28 PM ET by goobarb

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 12:08am

I drive a 1995 Buick Regal and of course the "Project" car when I get a chance, a 1972 Corvette. My wife's car is really the car we use most and it's a 1992 Bonneville. (Note: all three cars are white... Really, it's a coincidence...!!)

I honestly don't remember what I first drove however the first car I owned was a 1954 Chevrolet. I bought it, in pieces from a friend who's mom decided they were moving and he didn't have time to put it back together. I got it for $15.00 and after finally getting it back together I had to buy a battery which cost me $30.00, twice the cost of the car. I drove it for a couple years, not a bad investment...!

3. What is your Dream Car? I'm working on it now. In all honesty though, my dream car is the same car, only a new one!

Wow, I have to be honest here..? This is a long story but it's true. I've been stopped too many times over the years. Got a few tickets (probably four or five in all...) but actually I've gotten out of more than I've been given. The one I remember most was in Maryland while in the service, I was returning to base (the one and only time I was ever late getting back) and I was crusing. I came over a hill and there were four highway patrol officers lined across the road all motioning me over to the side. I was devastated, oh lord, already late and now I'm thinking "jail"! They all surrounded the car and questioned me about my hurry. (Maryland has a 50MPH speed limit everywhere at that time and no excuses for driving faster. I had a 1968 Camaro and was clocked between 85 and 90. (from the air - I never saw the spotter plane.) Anyway, I'm not sure what I said or maybe it was the pitiful look on my face, but I told them the truth and they let me go with a stern warning to never get caught speeding in Maryland or I would be in trouble big time. Needless to say, once they were out of my rearview mirror, I was back on it. Old Uncle Sam didn't tolerate tardiness and I feared him more than the police.... Fortunately, I made it back and because I had taken the time to call and foreworn my superiors, I didn't get into too much trouble there either.

First, not to get any tickets. LOL Otherwise, we will still be working on the house mainly.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 5:44am
Wow Marty. Thanks for sharing your Story about the ticket. I imagine it was hard for you to see the spotter plane when you were busy flying yourself, LOL!

Good luck on the house work this weekend.

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 6:15am
Mary,

my good luck wishes to your grandson on his final tball game are a day late. I hope he had a good game.

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 6:19am
Nick,

You're such a great story teller! You can really put your reader in your story: I almost felt like I was coming out of the Mountains of Yuma this morning, wind in my hair while you're driving way too fast...but don't ask me what's in my purse.

Lauren Sue

Pages