The FRIDAY FIVE for August 8

iVillage Member
The FRIDAY FIVE for August 8
Fri, 08-08-2003 - 9:54am
Once again, it's time for the FRIDAY FIVE. Play along, if you wish, as we get to know each other just a little bit better. After reading Ruben's fun Question below about Jobs, I decided this week’s Five is about JOBS, too:

1. What is your current occupation? If you are retired, what was your last occupation?

2. If time/talent/money were no object, what would your dream occupation be?

3. What did/do your parents do for a living?

4. What was the very first job you ever had?

5. What are your plans this weekend?

Have A Safe & Super Weekend Everyone!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-08-2003 - 11:40am
1. What is your current occupation? If you are retired, what was your last occupation?

Right now, I'm a stay-at-home Mom. Before Joey was born I was a receptionist for 2 political companies that shared a lobby.

Writer. I think I'd still like to be a writer when I grow up.

My mother got a degree in English, but was a stay-at-home Mom and volunteer. My father did time in the Army, got a degree in business, went on to be in the Secret Service, helped organize the Bicentenial for America and lots of other government jobs. Dad is retired from the government but still works full time for the head of the Sheet Metal Workers Union (Dad is a big democrat)and Dad was also just appointed by Virginia's Gov to help organize the Quadcential for Jamestown in Virginia! By the way...my Dad is 70!

I worked in a Day Care and I sang professionally (weddings, national anthem for events, all occasions soloist...have voice, will travel)

OMG, is it the weekend already!?! I'm still trying to settle back in from my little vacation to the beach. May work in the yard, finish unpacking and catch up on laundry now that my MAYTAG NEPTUNE washer/dryer finally arrived (I'm loving the laundry job now)

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 2:55am
1. My Current occupation:

MOM! WIFE! FRIEND!

2. Just as Lauren, I have always dreamed and imagined, and hoped for a writing career.

3. Mom was a hairdresser before I was born, Dad worked for Ford and Chrysler in Detroit when I was very young (until 7) Then he owned a window business, then worked for Owens Corning Fiberglass in Seattle, then the local aluminum plant, then owned a plumbing biz, sold it and started his one man plumbing shop.

4. EEEEWWWWWW... my very first job was as a waitress. I did this for 3 months, then I worked at an auto parts store until I got married. MUCH better!

5. pick up Mom in law and Grandma from cruise terminal in Vancouver BC Canada and take them to airport back on this side of the border. Sunday is scouting for a new camp site.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 7:34am
Hummmmm....

Technically, you might say I'm unemployed although I don't recall working any harder at any previous job... (By the way, there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.) My previous (paying) occupation was in customer service for Pella Windows and Doors.

I’ve always thought it would be great to be a musician. As a child, I loved playing the piano and always thought it would be great to be able to make a living doing something I really loved doing.

My dad was a mechanic and worked in that field on and off between owning a restaurant in New York prior to our moving to Florida and then having his own mobile home repair business in his later years. My mom waitressed when she was younger and worked in a department store for many years after we moved to Florida.

Pumping gas in a small gas station.

As usual, working on the house however only Saturday morning. Then I am going to head north to the lake to do some fishing and don’t plan on returning until later Sunday evening! (Woo hoo!!)

Looking forward to a break! Hope everyone has a super weekend!

Marty

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 11:46am
1) i speak professionaly on the human issues surrounding disability and using humor as a coping strategy.i also coach other speakers and business people in story development and storytelling technique.

2) my first paid job was painting my uncle's renntal house.. ever tried carrying a 10 ft ladder in a vw beetle?

3) my dad was an entrepenuer and a salesman, though not in tthe flamboyent stereotype. he was trained as a civil engineer and started a crane manufaacturing corporation with some college buddies. borg warner bought them out in the early 50's and he started an import business. we left chicago for phoenix in 1959, where he started selling fundraising products to schools. he eventually started his own company and continued working until he died of cancer in 1986

4) i'd really like to do voice-over work for tv and radio. you know, the voice on the commercial. i guess i could stilldo it, but idon't think i have the energy to market myself the way you need to. tha...the...the...that's all, folks

5) just going to hang oout, maybe do some paper work.

nick

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 6:51pm
Nick,

This past spring I read a book called "My life as a ten year old boy" by Nancy Cartwright. She's the woman who does the voice of Bart Simpson. It was an interesting book and amazing to see how her love of competing in High School Forensic Competitions would eventually lead her to a lucrative career doing voice-over work. It's a facinating career, that's for sure.

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 9:31pm
Ok here I am for the Friday Five!

1..Current occupation is Care-giving. Last occupation was working

at a Bank as a Teller Trainer.

2..Dream occupation. Living in a house by the Sea and becoming a

Beach Bum..Is this Work???No but it is a great occupation LOL

3..What did my mom and dad do. Mom worked at a Major Pgh Department

store as an Asst. Buyer. When my brother was born she became a

stay at home mom. Dad was an Engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad.

4..First Job that Jane had was in the Bookeeping Dept of a Local Bank.

5..Plans for the weekend are to give the long driveway a good cleaning

to get ready for a sealing job that will be done next week.

See you all at the Chat on Monday. Eddie and Ruth promised to come.Jane

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-10-2003 - 7:35am

1. I am currently not working, disabled but the last job I had was wotking in a photography studio. I was the general do everything gal there. It was owned by my friends. I still help out once in a while.

2.I think the ideal job for me if I could ,would be to run and instruct an art gallery stricktly for children. It would have tables set up where kids could draw and tyry to copy art others have drawn. Most museums and galleries are boring for kids.

3.My mother worked for the Army, AVSCOM> Aviation systems command, until she retired with a heart problem. She was a GS 6, whatever that would be in rank no clue. My uncle also worked there, he retired a GS 11.(bigwig) LOL They both worked in what is called The Mart building in downtown St. Louis, it's still there.

4.When I was 16, I ran for a guy a vacuum cleaner sales and service store. He liked to play the dog track. Hey I still haven't got my last check.

5. This weekend I plan on turning 48 on Sunday. Going out to dinner with my daughter and grandkids, Pizza most likely. Going to have to bake myself a cake, the kids expect it.They ned something to sing to. LOL

Mookie to all, hope your weekend was wonderful.

Mary

Grams

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-10-2003 - 10:41pm
Mary,

In Washington, DC, there is a Children's Museum that is exactly as you described in your wish. It's a wonderful place and my kids LOVE to visit there. My parents have taken them frequently and there is always something to learn or something to create, not to mention a very hands-on museum. Below is a link to the museum's homepage:

http://www.ccm.org/

Lauren Sue (ps...happy birthday, again)