The FRIDAY FIVE for August 15

iVillage Member
The FRIDAY FIVE for August 15
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 9:11am
Once again, it's time for the FRIDAY FIVE. Play along, if you wish, as we get to know each other just a little bit better. Since one quadrant of the east coast & Canada experienced an historical blackout this week, I decided this week’s FIVE is about BLACKOUTS!

1. Have you ever been in a black out?

2. Do you know anyone affected by the current Blackout?

3. What modern convenience would you miss most if your home lost electricity?

4. When was the last time your home lost electricity and why?

5. What are you plans this weekend?

Have a SAFE AND SUPER weekend everyone!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 9:52am
1. Have you ever been in a black out?

No I haven’t. Not a widespread black out, atleast.

2. Do you know anyone affected by the current Blackout?

Yes, several friends live in those areas, but also my sister's daughter (21) who lives alone in New York City while pursuing her acting/modeling career. As soon as it happened, she knew the family would be worried about her but both her cell and home phone weren’t working. She made her way down the 12 flights to the lobby phone and stood in line with many others awaiting to call her mother. We were all relieved to hear she wasn’t stuck in an elevator or on a train somewhere! As of 6am, some of her electricity appears to be returning. She now has AC, PC and ACDC, lol.

AC in summer, heat in winter and most of all my computer, LOL! I’m sure all my fellow board addicts can agree with that last one!

4. When was the last time your home lost electricity and why?

In my old townhouse, where I lived from 1990-2002, we never once lost electricity or even had lights blink on and off! Since moving into this old house on the hill (which is why it’s called “The Highlands”) we lose electricity EVERY time there are high winds or lightening. We keep flashlights in every main room ready and waiting to guide us through this very dark house when/if the lights are lost, again.

5. What are you plans this weekend?

I feel so old, I’m going to crawl in bed and hide under the covers, LOL! I took my oldest daughter to Volley Ball tryouts at the High School today where she’ll be a freshman this year. Wasn’t it just yesterday “I” was in high school?!?! I can’t be the mother of a highschooler already!?! The kids at the school looked so old and grown up and so did my baby girl waiting to sign in for tryouts. No plans for the rest of the weekend, yet.

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 8:30pm
Here I go again...

1..Have I been in a black out...OH YES..TWO LONGGGGGGGG nights and ONE day.

We lost our power during a Ice Storm . Thankful for our Fireplace, Gas Stove.

and Down Comfort . And of course my faithful Wolly Robe.

2..Yes our Daughter in Ohio was affected by the current Blackout.

3..We would miss our Air-Conditioner. Dick needs it for his heart problems.

4..Power Surge last month during a bad Storm

5..Going shopping for more candles. LOL

Jane

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-15-2003 - 10:32pm
1. Have you ever been in a black out? No.

2. Do you know anyone affected by the current Blackout? I was born in Watertown, New York, (far northern New York state) and still have many cousins living there. I haven't heard any stories yet but I'm sure I will in time.

3. What modern convenience would you miss most if your home lost electricity? I'm having a very difficult time trying to determine just what I'd miss the most!!

4. When was the last time your home lost electricity and why? June, when the area was hit with several severe thunderstorms and a few tornado’s as well!

5. What are you plans this weekend? As usual, working on the house. The light is getting brighter!

Hope everyone has a super weekend!

Marty

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-17-2003 - 11:13am

1. Have you ever been in a black out? Yes

2. Do you know anyone affected by the current Blackout? Yes

Refrigerator

4. When was the last time your home lost electricity and why? Yesteday. Overload, area

Air Condtioners. Just minutes in duraton.

5. What are you plans this weekend? Plan camping trip for next weekend.

ruben

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 10:10am
1. I have never been involved in a blackout, but we had one recently in Rolla.. I was on a different electric system.

2.I have a chat buddy that was affected in the blackout that started in Ohio.

3.My refrigerator

4.During a Thunderstorm, only overnight,

5. Visiting friends, trying to stay cool.

Have a great week everyone,

Mookies,

Mary

Grams