THE FRIDAY 5...For August 22

iVillage Member
THE FRIDAY 5...For August 22
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 7:35am
Once again, it's time for the FRIDAY FIVE. Play along, if you wish, as we get to know each other just a little bit better. Since so many viruses have been in the news lately(even becoming part of our board discussion) this week’s FIVE is about COMPUTERS!

1. When did you get your first computer?

2. What kind of computer are you currently using?

3. Have you ever been a victim of a computer virus and what did it do to your computer?

4. How did you come up with your iVillage Screen name? Does it have a special meaning?

5. What are your plans this weekend?

Have A Safe & Super Weekend Everybody!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 8:43am
1. When did you get your first computer?

I got my very first computer in 1999. I knew NOTHING about them, not even how to control the mouse, lol.

2. What kind of computer are you currently using?

Sitting here with a "Tiger" Systemax that has windows XP. Had to buy this to replace my Dell (see answer 3). My first PC still works great, it's an HP with Windows 98. Good ol' faithful machine.

3. Have you ever been a victim of a computer virus and what did it do to your computer?

My last computer was a Dell and it got hit HARD. Weird, right before it hit I had this strange premonition and saved everything. About a week later my computer got the Reboot virus and never worked again. Also had a worm in my office computer back in 2001. It was one of the vicious mass emailer worms similar to the most recent one in the news. Our office was flooding the RNC (Republican National Committee and a big client) with that worm!

4. How did you come up with your iVillage Screen name? Does it have a special meaning?

lsb stands for my initials and 210 is my bday (February 10th).

Hoping to help with the gardening. LOTS of yard work to catch up on. Avoid housework. Entertain the toddler. Get the kids ready for their first day of school next tuesday.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 8:58am
1. Apprx 4 years ago..Date escapes me.

2. Compaq Presario/ Dell terminal (dual carbs,4 on the floor)

3. Yes, screwed it up bad.

4. It means Alex's grand pa.

5. Going camping. Leaving shortly

You all have a great weekend

ruben

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 9:12am
I always wondered what your screen name stood for. I like that meaning; very clever. Have a great camping trip. You'll have to tell us all about it in chat on Monday. Do they have nice camp grounds on Mars?

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 10:46am
Lauren Sue, tried to explain my screen name in my profile. Camping on mars camp grounds is not as nice as on green planet earth. You get this red dust all in your food and clothes. Since I'm color blind, red looks green to me. So its cool. Got to watch out for them wild Mookies. Folks can get mooked if not careful. Some dont mind being mooked. I dont mind at all. Have great weekend LS. Mookies, ruben

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 2:56pm
Here I go again;

1..First Computer was a hand me down Gateway 95 in 2000

2..Gateway XP I love it. It was a Christmas Gift this past year.

3..Computer Virus...No and I try to be very careful about Downloads.I

just delete any junk that comes thru. My daughter keeps me up-dated

on all the Viruses that are out there.

4..FLYGEM522 is a combination of my Married name and Maiden name. and

the 522 is my birthday. HUMMMMMMM

5..I am going to spray Paint our Post Lantern, Clean the glass, and put

a new long lasting lightbulb in it. Weed the gardens and kill some

nasty Crab Grass.

Have a wonderful Weekend...Love Jane

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 5:15pm
My apologies for this being such a long post.

1. When did you get your first computer? Approximately 10 years ago.

2. What kind of computer are you currently using? Gateway W/Windows ME

3. Have you ever been a victim of a computer virus and what did it do to your computer? A couple close calls but never anything serious.

4. How did you come up with your iVillage Screen name? Does it have a special meaning? When I went to work for Pella Windows, I was assigned “MartyC” (First name – Initial of last name)as my network user-name. Some of the service technicians noted this and started calling me “MartyC”. When I left the company and moved out here I needed a screen name to use with our new service and tried to use “MartyC” but it wasn’t available. I decided to try “MartyCee” which is now my provider, MediaCom, screen name. When I was trying to get set up at on iVillage I set up “MartyCee” but through some mindlessness ended up with “MartyCee2”. (Duh???) I don’t know what I did and I think the “MartyCee” thing is possibly still there but I’ve never tried to use it…

5. What are your plans this weekend? EEEEEEeeeeeeeeyyyikes!

I bet everyone gets tired of this. I’m mudding sheetrock (and it is not any fun at all), however, it’s my job at the moment. Hopefully I’ll be done in a couple days and then I can be a painter.

Just a quick update – September was going to be my month to get back into the real world and try to collect a real paycheck. The plan has been that at that time I would work on any unfinished projects nights and weekends.

In mid July my brother informed me that his female Boxer’s was having pups and offered Julie and I “pick of the litter” if we would come down (to Florida) to pick it up in September. My parents, both quite elderly, also live in Florida and I have been putting off getting down there for a few months now, so my brothers’ offer was something we felt we couldn’t refuse.

We are hoping to get all the rooms we’re currently working on completed prior to our trip, around the middle of September. It’s going to be close… The "job search" will have to wait until we return.

Wishing everyone a super weekend!!!!!!

Marty

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-23-2003 - 8:22am
Marty,

Awwww, pick of the litter! How exciting; you're going to have a new addition in the family. You really are going to need to have those home improvement jobs behind you once a new pup takes over your lives, LOL! Good luck on everything.

When I was growing up we bred Shetland Sheepdogs and it was always an amazing experience when each litter was born, but so hard to say goodbye when it was time to send them to their new homes.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-23-2003 - 9:31am
I don't remember us not having a computer....but they were always used for my husbands work and the kids schoolwork. While I was working I only used one for word processing,etc. I got my very own first Dell computer and connected to the internet 6 years ago. It was a birthday present. My husband says the most expensive gift he ever gave me.....resulting in our adopting eight more children in my internet search for children waiting for adoption. I was actually just looking for information on adopting older children. After sharing what I found concerning all the waiting children all over the world....my husband agreed that it was time to do something. We had always "talked" about adopting children. ....before I started having these problems we had plans to adopt two very small little girls from china....completing our family with 7 sons and 7 daughters. I'm hoping and praying we can still do this. We didn't plan to start the process until four that we have at home are in college. China has a rule that you can only have four children already in the home at the time that you adopt. We have three seniors this year and one junior. We still have two years....God willing. Okay, back to the questions....

I got a new apple for Christmas last year. I really do like it. I have never had a computer virus.....but I've been watching out for one as I know I'm in the address book of several that have had one lately.

This weekend....I'm helping my 18 year old son load some sheep to taake to a sale this afternoon. Then I plan to get the pool house ready for my daughter (oldest,26) and her two children and plan a family birthday party for her one year old! They will be arriving from Houston Monday and plan to stay two weeks! I haven't seen them in two months. I'm especially looking forward to this visit since school has started and I will be able to spend more time with her and the grandchildren. We have plans for a girls night out (all five daughters and the 4 yr old granddaughter, only guy allowed is the 1 year old nursing baby!)in Dallas next friday. I will likely stay at the hotel with the baby while the girls hit the malls. I don't mind that at all!

Have a great weekend. I appreciate all your kind thoughts and prayers and well wishes. My MDS appontment is tuesday at 9:30. ....Blessings, Sharon

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-23-2003 - 10:23am

1. I got my first computer last year in June.

2. I have a Compaq Presario

3. No I have been very lucky no viruses, knock on wood

4. My screen name was chosen by my d and I. AT that time several of her girlfriends were pregnant at the same time, so I became a fill in grandma to all of them. As kids tend to do, they all moved away now.

5.If it's not too hot, I think I will take the grandkids and my dd to the park for a picnic.

Grams

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-24-2003 - 2:18pm
1. When did you get your first computer? two years ago.

2. What kind of computer are you currently using? Gateway

No.

I used my old Aol screen name. Now it is goincrazymama on AOL.

Clean up...really need to. lol

Barbara