The FRIDAY 5 for August 29…

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 6:30am

Once again, it's time for the FRIDAY FIVE. Play along if you wish, as we get to know each other just a little bit better. This week’s FIVE is about SCHOOL!

1. What was your favorite subject in school?

2. What was your least favorite subject in school?

3. Who was one of your most memorable/favorite Teachers when you were in school?

Can you tell us a bit about why they were so special?

4. If you went to college, where did you go and what was your major…if not, did you choose military, go right in to the work force or other?

5. What are your plans this Labor Day Weekend?

Have A Safe And Super Weekend Everyone!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 7:30am
1. What was your favorite subject in school?

Music/Choir

2. What was your least favorite subject in school?

Math!!! (YUCK)

3. Who was one of your most memorable/favorite Teachers when you were in school?

Can you tell us a bit about why they were so special?

Mrs. Ross. My amazing 5th grade teacher who went above and beyond the classroom to bring the world into education and education into the world. One small example: she had us put on our own production of "The King & I", complete with sets and costumes and everything memorized. To further the experience, she took us on a field trip from our School in the DC suburbs of VA to NYC to see Constance Towers & Yul Brenner on broadway in "The Kind & I". She truly sparked my interest in music & theatre. She also introduced me to my favorite book: "That Quail Robert".

4. If you went to college, where did you go and what was your major…if not, did you choose military, go right in to the work force or other?

Temple University in Philadelphia, PA and then transfered later to George Mason University in Fairfax, Va. I majored in Voice Performance (singing/opera/choral)

Clean up the tree that fell in the storm this weekend. If the weather isn't too bad, take son (13) to his first football scrimage and may sail to Baltimore. Hope you all have a good weekend.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 7:38am

1. I think Science but Math had a close second.

2. I really disliked History it was boring remembering al those oldfcts. Now I am one. LOL

3.My Math teacher was my favorite. He was a younger guy and very cool. Had the patience of a Saint. He needed it with our group. I learned much faster with him then the last one that retired so he could get the job.

4.no college, work.

5. Looks like our plans to grill will get rained out.

Mookies to all. Have a wonderful weekend. May your wants be few and your blessings be many.

Hugs Mary

Grams

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 10:05am
1) i liked biology and english in high school.

2) math, math, and math

3) arizona state. was a zooloby major until i found out how much math was involwed, then switched to english for my B.A.. M .A. in english lit.

4) Ruth Warnike taught history of england at asu. she was a master story teller. she'd put an outline on the chaulk board and start talking. an hour seemed like 10 minutes in her class.

5) no labor

nick

Edited 8/29/2003 10:08:56 AM ET by shakyspker

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 3:32pm

1. Favorite subgect was drafting

2. Least favorite MATH

3. Mr Hannah, science teacher. He made class very exciting.

4. Joined Military right out of high school. Upon completing four years in Air

force,attended night school and earned AA degree. Married at age 19.

5. Prepare for trip to Colorado next week. Will be visiting son in Crested Butte.

Safe and peacful laborday weekend to you all.

ruben

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-29-2003 - 9:29pm
Here I go again....

1..Favorite Subject was Math

2..Least favorite was Latin

3..Favorite teacher was Miss Arglyl. She gave me the lead in the

School Play, " The Wizard of Oz"

4..Went to work at a major Pittsburgh Bank. Met Dick, who was on the

Management Training Program, and the rest is history.

5..I will be busy putting some of the garden to bed for the long winter.

Picnic at daughters. Wash and Wax the Car.

" What lies behind us and what lies before us are timy matters compared

to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have a good one....Jane

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-30-2003 - 7:42am
Jane,

I have to completely agree with you about Latin. I think Latin is a close second for me behind Math. My mother strongly urged me to take it (I had taken 4 years of Spanish at this point and wanted a change). Mom said Latin would help with SAT's and stuff. WHATEVER! Really disliked Latin.

and your quote at the end of your Friday 5 reminds me of when I was first diagnosed with PD. The members of my online Mom's of March 01 babies sent me a card and it had that saying written across the front:

" What lies behind us and what lies before us are timy matters compared

to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

It really meant so much to me and I keep it sitting on the window sill as a daily reminder of not only its meaning, but of the importance of friends.

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-30-2003 - 7:51am
Ruben,

Enjoy your trip to Colorado, but know this board is truly going to miss you! When do you depart and for how long will you be away? How long does it take to go from Mars to Colorado? Is it a shorter trip now that Mars is supposively closer to Earth these days?

Can't wait to hear about all the chile eating,too! Will you be a judge?

YUM!

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-30-2003 - 10:19am
Thanks Lauren Ill miss inputing on the board. It will be for a week. My son says the contest chili can be carosive on the tum tum so think Ill pass, er I mean wont be a

contest judge. Ill be doin little hiking, fishing, botique looking with wife (not my favorite activity). I do the PD stumble then she asks that I wait out side. This will be a short trip due closer placement of our planets. I wont have to worry about space sickness. Duration of trip estiimated to be two Mars bars and half a Snickers bar. My son has a computer but uses it in business.. He sells Boulder (different from mountain climbing) equipment over the internet. His business name is "The Perfect High"

My take off day Sept 6, return Sept 11. Have a fun weekend, ruben

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-30-2003 - 6:08pm
Favorite subject was English lit., Least favorite Math. Married at 19 after one year of college. Completed 3 1/2 years of college, double majoring in Early childhood education and Home Economics. I was enrolled in the final semester when I was asked to foster parent two children ages 2 and 4. With three children ages 2-6, I decided to drop out of school and give the children all of my attention. I never wanted or planned to have a career outside the home even after graduating. I only continued my education in order to learn how to teach and better care for my family. Very old fashioned, but my dream! After the children started school and I realized that they were not getting the education I wanted for them I started our own school. We built a building next door to our building material business, hired good teachers and I ran a preschool program to support the school. As the school grew we were able to hire a preschool teacher and I worked as the Volunteer Administrater/secretary until eventually being able to hire someone for these positions. We started with 32 students and now have 132 students 18 years later, in this small town of 3,000. I am currently the president of the board of directors and serve only in that capacity. Our children all attended or still attend this elementary school and received a great education using the A Beka Christian school curriculum.

My favorite teacher was my 7th grade English teacher. She helped me write a winning story for a contest and made me feel that I could do anything that I set my mind to do.

We are helping move my husbands parents (84 and 85) into a house we just finished building for them on our place. I just came home to put the little ones (grandchildren) down for naps and take a break myself too. They seem happy to be getting close to all these Grandkids. I think it will be great for the whole family. We look forward to spending more time with them in these last years. The house is totally handicap accessible.....Have a great weekend everyone. Blessings, Sharon

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-01-2003 - 9:58am
1. What was your favorite subject in school? I enjoyed both math and history.

2. What was your least favorite subject in school? Any language.

Can you tell us a bit about why they were so special? Mrs. Green – she was my second, third and sixth grade teacher. (Small town – small school in upstate New York.) I liked her because she genuinely cared about her students. She was tough as nails but never forgot that we were kids. She also always took her class on trip of some sort at the end of every school year

4. If you went to college, where did you go and what was your major…if not, did you choose military, go right in to the work force or other. I had one year of college for computer programming right out of high school but then I went into the Army. I’ve been in the work force pretty much since then.

This weekend has been a little crazy. We had/have funerals both Friday and Tuesday. Saturday was a travel day with a little R & R mixed in. Sunday was spent planning and trying to prepare for what we need to get done before our trip to Florida next week. Today we hope to install a patio door. Busy, busy, busy….

Hoping everyone is having a super weekend! Marty