THANKSGIVING 2004

iVillage Member
THANKSGIVING 2004
Wed, 11-24-2004 - 8:03am

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving 2004?

In leiu of our usual Friday Five this week, I thought I would begin this THANKSGIVING THREAD...a place for us to share with everyone things we are thankful for.

You can also share with us

• how you celebrated your holidays

• favorite recipes you have and

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-24-2004 - 9:53am

• I am thankful for my family.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-24-2004 - 9:56am

Two of my favorite Thanksgiving Recipes:

MOIST PUMPKIN SHEET CAKE

1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar and oil. Add eggs; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to pumpkin mixture and beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 15 x 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool.

Frosting
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons milk

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. Gradually add sugar; mix well. Add milk until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Frost cake.

Cranberry-Apple Casserole (old family favorite, recipe inside)This is an OLD Southern Living Recipe and I make it every year for my family (since early 80's)on Thanksgiving. This is very sweet and a perfect Side Dish for Thanksgiving Dinner. AWESOME recipe! Infact, we had it for breakfast this morning. Cranberry-Apple Casserole (side dish)

3 cups-peels/chopped Apples

2 cups-Fresh Cranberries

2 Tablespoons-Flour

1 cup-Sugar

3 Packages-Cinnamon & Spice Instant Oatmeal (of the Quaker Instant Oatmeal Flavor Variety)

¾ Cup-Chopped Pecans (OPTIONAL-I usually bake it without nuts)

+ ½ Cup-Flour

½ Cup-Brown Sugar

½ Cup-Margarine (melted)

Preheat over to 350 degrees

In a 2 quart casserole dish: Combine apples, cranberries and 2 T. of Flour (tossing to coat)…Add 1 cup of sugar (mix well). Set Aside In another bowl, combine Oatmeal, pecan (if desired), ½ cup flour and ½ cup brown sugar. Add melted butter and stir well. Spread this mixture on top of casserole. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-26-2004 - 12:52am

Hi all. I haven't posted in awhile - life is very busy!

We had an unusually quiet Thanksgiving. My family was out of town or at in-laws, so we had my husband's first cousin and her husband. It was just the 5 of us! I had invited several friends and other relatives, but no one else could make it. It was a little disappointing because it's my favorite holiday, but we still enjoyed ourselves.

I am thankful first of all that my husband is not worse than he is with his PD. I am thankful that I have a loving family to support me. I am thankful for my friends who've come through for me more than I ever would have expected. I am thankful that I am healthy and feel younger than my years. I am thankful that I still want to have fun! And, I'm thankful for message boards like this where I can vent and learn from others! There's a lot more that I'm thankful for - the usual things...

Hope everyone had a great holiday and will enjoy the holiday weekend too.

Jan

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-27-2004 - 10:39am

Thanks for checking in and giving up the update! Glad you had a happy Thanksgiving! You really do have many wonderful things to be thankful for...

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-27-2004 - 6:41pm
I'm thankful for a gazillion things and people. Im so thankful that after 20 years with PD I can still function relatively well. Love and support from my family is a blessing. THankful that my blessings over compensate for the negative things that occur in my life. The friends I ve met on this board. Im very thankful that I can go fishing on my own almost any time I wish. These are but a few. God bless, ruben

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-28-2004 - 1:06am

I'm most thankful to have family members who are my 'best friends" and friends that are like family. That I can get up in the morning and go to work when there are so many in this world that can't.

I've seen it here so many times but it is so true - I'm thankful for those that post on this board. You're like extended family that I just haven't had the opportunity to meet. I'm thankful that I can come here, often unnoticed, and read about the things that I struggle with and know that I‘m not alone in this battle.

Marty

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-29-2004 - 2:27pm

Marty,

What a beautiful sentiment and so well written. It's exactly how I feel about the board, too! You captured that feeling so clearly in your words...So, ditto to what Marty says!

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-29-2004 - 6:23pm

My wonderful friends on the IVillage Board,
This was a very special Thanksgiving for me. God has worked in mystery ways to heal my husband and keep him safe here with me. Our family came in and we shared Thanksgiving as usual together. Our youngest Son in Law carved the turkey with Dick bossing him and telling him how to do it LOL. Both daughters helped in the kitchen and with all this help Dinner was served on time. Prayers were said and the food disappeared fast. Jane sat and enjoyed her coffee while grandchildren cleared the table and loaded the dishwasher. Then the homemade pies appeared and daughters cut and served the yummy Pumpkin and Apple Pies with vanilla ice cream and of course Whipped Cream.
The guys retired to the Family Room to watch football and we gals made our traditional HOME MADE Ornament for our Christmas trees ( We do this every year) Oldest daughter is in charge of picking the ornament that we make and getting all the supplies bought. This year we made a small red ribbon wreath with gold charms. It will take its place on all of our trees as a special memory of many wonderful Thanksgivings gone bye.
I am also thankful for all my dear friends on this board, who have shared and cared for Dick and I this past year. I know that I can reach out for help when I am down. What would I do without you? God Bless all of you .
Keep those Bags Packed cause this could be the year of the Cure...Love Jane

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-30-2004 - 6:44am

Jane,

What a wonderful holiday tradition that will certainly be cherished for many generations. So happy to hear all of your good news regarding Dick. Continued thoughts & prayers for you both.

Lauren Sue

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-30-2004 - 7:08am
Jane your thanksgiving sounded like a storybook affair so wonderfully traditional. Dicks recovery added to the holliday. Two of my children were not able to attend our thanksgiving due to distance and other family (Inlaw)Thanksgiving celebrations. I will visit all my children by Christmas. WE are so fortunet to have such close loving families. THere are many families that are in conflict or homeless. I will remember them in prayer. God bless, ruben