16th FRIDAY FIVE for 2005 (4/29)

iVillage Member
16th FRIDAY FIVE for 2005 (4/29)
Fri, 04-29-2005 - 9:42am

It's Friday April 15, 2005:

Come one, Come All...Feel free to post to this whenever you get a chance, even if it's past Friday. This week, let's share a little about your experience living with Parkinson's (or, if you are a caregiver, your loved one's PD symptoms):

1. What was

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-29-2005 - 10:54am

1. What was

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-29-2005 - 10:27pm

1. What was your first Parkinson's symptom you noticed?
I think ther very first symptom was my neck would twitch when I drank coffee.

2. Before you were diagnosed, what were some of the things you thought might be the cause of those first symptoms? Did you even suspect PD?
I thought possibly a pinched nerve maybe MS.

3. How long after those first symptoms appeared was it until you were given the official diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease?
About 2-3 years.

4. What are your current symptoms? When on meds hardly any symptoms. When off, slw movement, some tremor,difficult to dress cant dance and all the other classic symptoms

5. What medication/treatment do you currently receive for your Parkinson's?
Stalevo, sinemet, permax and amantadine

BONUS QUESTION:

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THIS LAST WEEKEND IN APRIL?

Going for a walk on the beach at Laguna and have lunch there. Cant fish, wife doesnt enjoy anything fishy.
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND ONE AND ALL!

ruben

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-29-2005 - 11:50pm

To be honest, I��m not sure. There were so many little things that it’s difficult to remember what may have appeared first. In the mid-eighties I experienced a period of anxiety and panic attacks. I remember how tight the muscles would get on my left side. (The side my PD primarily affects!) I also remember doing breathing exercises to try to get my muscles to relax. I wasn’t diagnosed with PD for another 10 years so it’s difficult to say it was related. The symptom I remember clearest that would have been a definite indication of PD was limping and a tendency to trip because I wasn’t picking up my left foot when I walked. Nor did I swing my left arm naturally when walking.

2. Before you were diagnosed, what were some of the things you thought might be the cause of those first symptoms? Did you even suspect PD?

This seems pretty dumb to me now, but at the time I was in my mid-forties and didn’t know any better. I simply thought all the things that were happening to me were the affects of aging. Hey, I was a 60’s child and was not kind to my body. There was a time that living to be 30 was difficult to perceive, much less 40! (Do kids today still think like that?)I never suspected nor considered Parkinson's.

3. How long after those first symptoms appeared was it until you were given the official diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease?

I’m not sure but it wasn’t more than a year or so after developing a distinct limp and realizing that I was holding my left arm tight against my chest.

4. What are your current symptoms?

Rigidity, some tremor, shuffling, slow to answer direct questions. (The list goes on and on….) The physical things are still predominantly on my left side.

Sinemet, Requip, and Amantadine – six times a day.

BONUS QUESTION:

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THIS LAST WEEKEND IN APRIL?

Working at the office Saturday morning and around the house the rest of the weekend.

Wishing everyone a super weekend and a great week ahead.
Marty

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2005 - 9:12am

1 Now that I know I have pd....the first symptom was the frozen shoulder..... a sore

hip... but the shaking was the first one that caused concern.

2 I was in school getting my early childhood education degree.....and that backpack was

full of books....that was the reason for the shoulder...the depression ..I thought

was feom stress.....When the shaking stared...I knew,

3 I waited 2 years before going to my family doctor....by then it was quite obvious.

4. I don't have a lot now...a little shaky when under stress....tired because of the

meds.....a slight limp when walking

5 I take effexor ( one a day) and carbidopa and l-dopa, (three tomes a day)

Plans for the weekend .....laundry.....now thats exciting....such a joyous job...

the worst part is......it is raining and I can not hang them on the line to dry

LOL

Have a great weekend
Lois

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2005 - 5:07pm

Tremor in my right hand about 3 years b4 diagnosis.
Stiffness in knees/hip
General feeling of "weakness" on right side
Difficulty getting up from a seated position

Over use of hand at work. (I use a computer all day)
The next three...from being over weight.

3 years or so but I think I had minor symptoms longer

4. What are your current symptoms?

Pretty much the same. Tremor in right hand & now the leg/foot. Real stiffness in right side...knee, hip, arm. Tiredness. Difficulty walking now and still getting to a standing position.

Saw my neruo today and have decided to try meds for the first time due to the increase in my stiffness and my difficulty walking. I am going to try Silegiline (sp?). I just mailed in the rx today so I'll start in about a week or so. We'll see how that goes.

I also take 1200 mg of CoQ10 every day.

Janice diagnosed 11/04 at age 35 current meds for PD: AZILECT 1MG, NEUPRO 6 MG/24 HR PATCH (love it!!), BUPROPION HCL ER 200 MG TAB in AM and 100 MG TAB at noon. CLONAZEPAM 0.5MG, PENTOXIFYLLINE 400MG (for edema) current meds for non PD: ZETIA 10MG,