18th Fri 5...Friday the 13th, May '05

iVillage Member
18th Fri 5...Friday the 13th, May '05
Fri, 05-13-2005 - 10:13am

It's Friday the 13th, May 2005:

Come one, Come All...Feel free to post to this whenever you get a chance, even if it's past Friday.

1. What was your first car?

2. Do you have any special memories from when you were first learning to drive a car?

3. What do you drive now?

4. Does your state require people with Parkinson's to take a special driving class before renewing their driver's license?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-13-2005 - 11:28am

a powder blue '78 pontiac Lemanz that my parents bought new in 78 and handed down to me in 1983 when I turned 16.

2. Do you have any special memories from when you were first learning to drive a car?

My brother David (who's 12 years old than myself) taught me how to drive by first taking me up to a parking lot where the local Firemen did practice runs with the big firetrucks that has both a driver in the front AND a driver in the back. He made me watch the guy on the back of the firetruck who has to basically steer opposite to keep the rear of the truck aligned with the turns. My brother said "if HE

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-14-2005 - 8:03am

51 ford

It was a forced learning experience in car maintenance and repair (age 16)

3 . What do you drive now?
91 Ford Explorer, cherry condition.

4. Does your state require people with Parkinson's to take a special driving class before renewing their driver's license? Hope not.

5. What are your plans for this weekend?
Saturday, watch my nephew pitch at his little league baseball game.
Sunday bar b que yummy rib eye steaks (my portion 7 oz)

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!

ruben

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-14-2005 - 8:27pm

One day late but better late than never....Jane

1...My Dad bought me my first car...It was a light blue Plymouth..I was only 17 and thought I was the luckest girl in town.

2...I remember taking Drivers Education and EVERY Day that I had a lesson IT RAINED CATS AND DOGS...LOL

3...I drive a Ivory 2002 Oldsmobil Intrique.

4...Dick had his renewed last year with no problem but he has not driven for the last 4 years. He just wanted to renew it for identification. No question asked inregard to Parkinson etc.

5...Son in Law is taking Dick out for breakfast and a long drive up to Lin State Park . Jane is spending the day resting up and catching up with some outside work.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-15-2005 - 4:43am

First car was 1954 Chevy – bought it from a friend for $30.00 – he was having problems with it starting and we were trying to determine how to fix it when his mom informed him that they were moving to another state and he couldn’t take the car anyway. It cost me another $30’s for a battery. Unfortunately, it still wouldn’t start but I found if I could just get it rolling I could “pop the clutch” and it would start right up. I learned quickly to park on inclines. I drove car for a long time (it seemed anyway) before I was finally able to afford a different car that actually started on it's own!

See question one.

3. What do you drive now?

1995 Buick Regal with 135,000 miles – still in fairly good shape considering it’s also Mavericks favorite car. His paws are pretty hard on the leather interior. (He loves to ride around with his head sticking out the sunroof.) When we’re walking people will ask “Isn’t that the dog who always has his head sticking out the sunroof?”

4. Does your state require people with Parkinson's to take a special driving class before renewing their driver's license?

Not that I’m aware of at this time.

5. What are your plans for this weekend?

Worked yesterday (Saturday) morning then came home and did laundry and a few domestic chores. Even had dinner ready when Julie got home from work. Our temperatures barely got into the 40’s yesterday with 25+ MPH winds all day. NOT a day to do much outside. No plans for today.

Wishing everyone well.
Marty

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-18-2005 - 12:45am
LOLOL Marty! Your comment about Maverick in the car has me cracking up! I know when I finally go to sleep tonight I'm going to dream about Maverick driving with his head out the sunroof! LOLOLOL What an image that paints.

Lauren Sue

Community Leader For The iVillage Health & Well Being
Parkinson’s Disease Board
Click Here To Visit The Parkinson’s Board
A Place You’ll find Information, Inspiration & Instant Friendships

Once we choose hope, everything is possible

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-18-2005 - 1:42am

Lauren Sue

The worst part about his riding like that is that twice now I've had people flag me down to tell me I've left something on top of my car - only to realize at the last second that it's Mav.

The reason I say it's the worst part is because both times the people have appeared to be somewhat annoyed, as if I've done something wrong. I suppose that might be because they are a bit embarrassed to realize its Maverick and not what they suspected. LOL

Oh well, it seems to give most of the locals something to chuckle about and Mav loves the fresh air!

Marty

By the way - CONGRATULATIONS on your "movie star" status. Can't wait to see the feature film! Seriously, you are to be commended on all that it has taken for this to happen. Your commitment to "pilates" merits all this and more! (Still looking forward to seeing all this on TV!)

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-20-2005 - 9:22am
Thanks Marty for the congrats on the commercial and for continuing to make me smile with images of Mav in the car!

Lauren Sue

Community Leader For The iVillage Health & Well Being
Parkinson’s Disease Board
Click Here To Visit The Parkinson’s Board
A Place You’ll find Information, Inspiration & Instant Friendships

Once we choose hope, everything is possible