34th FRIDAY FIVE...Hurricane Katrina

iVillage Member
34th FRIDAY FIVE...Hurricane Katrina
Fri, 09-02-2005 - 9:06am
It's FRIDAY

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2005 - 9:30am

1. Do you have any friends or family affected by Hurricane Katrina?

I don't have family in that area, but we do have friends who are personally affected. My roommate from College's Mother (who is my mother's bestfriend) is from New Orleans. All of her family and friends evacuated and are safe, but she has yet to hear from her dear friend Sylvia. They've known each other since they were 3 years old. Last she heard from Sylvia, she was going to evacate from New Orleans to her mother's place, only her mother's home was in the area in Mississippi that took the brunt of the storm. I also know that my old boss had a family home on the water in the Gulf Port area where they would vacation. He and his family left this week to survey the damage, but I imagine they won't find their home still standing. At least they can return to the comforts of their other home in Virginia; unlike so many other who have lost everything and have no where to go now...

2. Have you been following any of the news coverage of the devastation in the South?

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2005 - 9:35am

I do have some friends who live in Alabama. They weren't affected too bad, but without electricity for at least two weeks. They are just going to come back up here to Indiana and stay a couple of weeks. They just moved down there about a month ago.

I'm constantly following the news updates on CNN or The Weather Channel. It breaks my heart. I wish so badly that I could go down there and do something. And the things that are going on with the looting and fires. Why? I understand their frustration, but why would you want to make it worse? I so feel for all of them. I just looked at a site here somewhere from a link on ivillage with a list of names of people alive, missing or unknown. Just overwhelmed me! I couldn't control the tears.

Gas here today for regular is $3.14, but just 50 miles north or south it is $3.94. Luckily I filled up before it all went up and haven't gone anywhere except where it was necessary.

9/11 completely changed my perspective, but to have a natural disaster like this makes you sit back and think. And appreciate! You just never thought it would happen in the USA. I do remember reading somewhere the first of this year that the panhandle area would be hit by utter devastation three times this year with hurricanes. Somebody was right.

My heart and prayers go out to all those affected. If only I was a millionaire, my plans for the weekend would be I'd fly a jet down there and bring those people back here where they would be safe. Otherwise, I think we are going to sit back and enjoy some family bonding time.

Chris