43rd FRIDAY FIVE...5,4,3,2,1...
Fri, 11-04-2005 - 8:32am
It's

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2005 - 8:49am

1. Tell us

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2005 - 2:04am

1. Tell us 1 thing you read this past week (book, article, paper, etc)...

My latest issue of Motor Trend…

2. Tell us 2 things on your To-Do List for this next week...

Finish doing my “get ready for winter” stuff around the house.
Laundry (as usual…)

3. Tell us 3 things you need to buy at the grocery store...

Dog food. (Okay it’s for Maverick but I still get it at the grocery store.)
Milk
Butter (Actually there is a list….)

4.Tell us 4 things you accomplished this past week...

I’m sure I must have accomplished something but it seems like it was such a busy week that I’m not sure what it was.

5. What are your plans for this weekend?

Just kicking back and taking it easy for a change!

Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable weekend and a terrific week ahead!

Marty

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2005 - 4:16am

1. Tell us 1 thing you read this past week (book, article, paper, etc)...

In an article in the Nov. 1 issue of The Journal of Clinical Investigation, the Rochester scientists describe a new mechanism by which brain cells can be damaged during chronic neurodegenerative diseases. When inflammation occurs in the brain, nerve impulses that are passed between cells during routine activities like learning and memory can become toxic. Instead of triggering the formation of memories, these impulses can inflict injury on neurons and disrupt neurologic function.
Understanding this mechanism could provide a new path for drugs to treat the diseases. Working in collaboration with researchers at the University of California at San Diego, the Rochester scientists propose a strategy of chemical preconditioning to induce adaptations in nerve cells that would enable the cells to better withstand toxic attacks, prevent injury, and preserve function.
"Preconditioning would allow the nervous system to experience stress and become more resistant to future encounters with stress and the damage it can trigger," said Harris A. Gelbard, M.D., professor of Neurology at the University of Rochester Medical Center and the research project's principal investigator.
A long-standing villain in neurodegenerative disease has been glutamate, an amino acid that normally acts as a neurotransmitter. Excess glutamate, however, can overly excite neurons, causing damage and death -- a process called excitotoxicity. Some drugs developed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, for example, are designed to lower the production of glutamate or block its transmission to reduce excitotoxic injury.
"But just blocking glutamate doesn't seem to work efficiently in neurodegenerative diseases with inflammation," said Gelbard. "We reconsidered how excitotoxicity actually damages the nervous system in a functional way."

2. Tell us 2 things on your To-Do List for this next week...
Do exercises on arm to aid recovery of shoulder surgery
Do not go to lake for trout opener next week

3. Tell us 3 things you need to buy at the grocery store...
Juice, Milk and eggs.

4. Tell us 4 things you accomplished this past week...
Was able to place left sock on usng only right hand
Was able to place right sock on using only right hand
Did not fall, so far.
Got replies on board posts.

5. What are your plans for this weekend?
Early morn shopping for Chrsitmas, lots of sales and lots of grand kids
(6)then theres neices and nephews and more (shelters)

ruben

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2005 - 4:31pm
Thanks Marty and Ruben for playing along this week. I hope Maverick got his dog food, Marty. And Ruben