The Jungle - Upton Sinclair

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-17-2000 - 1:45pm

I don't know how to categorize this book. It's fiction but I think it's based on factual information. I picked it up because I had heard about it and how it had influenced the meat packing industry and health and safety.

It's about a family of Lithuanian immigrants who come to America in search of a better life. They get sucked into the packing industry in Chicago. It's absolutely horrible the tragedies they go through! Knowing that so many people really did live like this makes my heart ache. No matter what, something bad happens. As soon as something good comes into their lives, it's ripped away and they're worse off than ever.

I'm almost finished and I've gotten to the point where I read on just to see what else could possible befall these people. It's so depressing. It deffinitely makes me appreciate what I have.

I would love to hear from anyone else who's read this book and has any thoughts.

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Thu, 07-20-2000 - 3:53pm

Bad high school memories!

I remember reading THE JUNGLE in high school and HATING it. It struck me as such propaganda -- even though I pretty much agree with Sinclair's message. It was more like a cheesy public service advertisement than a novel. Of course, that was years ago -- I wonder what I'd think now?