NEED HELP!!!! :(

iVillage Member
NEED HELP!!!! :(
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 12:23am
Okay, its 1 in the morning, I can't sleep...I need some opinions on this problem...

Last night I had a dream about an old roommate, whom i did not like while we were roommates...we were not close. it was me, her and 2 other girls sharing a 4 bedrm apt. she got on my nerves half the time. in my dream last night, we were together, as in a couple, i can't remember the situation we were in, just lounging round the house i guess, and i just remember feeling like she was my Soulmate....the feeling of love for one another was so good it makes me feel good right now...its gotten me through this past day. she got pregnant while we were roomies, and stayed during her pregnancy, i moved out cuz i didn't sign a lease to live with kids. (we didn't know each other b/f we moved in) so i was glad to be out of the apt. have seen her maybe twice since moving out last october, said hello that was it. but it is just so weird, i remember in the dream looking at her and feeling so much love......and she felt the same for me. she was pregnant in the dream, and i was happy about it, we were in OUR house together and she was carrying OUR child......sigh, i am so confused, and wanna go to sleep, my thoughts won't let me. in real life, i feel nothing for this person, but I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THE DREAM. HELP! I welcome any and all opinions....sorry bout not capitalizing stuff, i know its confusing.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 12:28am
sorry I can't help,but I have no opinon on this ....I mean if you have no feelings for her in real life who knows??????sorry,Jo
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:27am
Hi Foxy, Having a bit of insomnia myself tonight so I caught your question. Dreams are not literal. You have to think of them symbolically. Sort of like a David Lynch film. The "character" of your ex-roomie is probably not about her. It's what she symbolizes to you. Some gestalt theorists think that all characters in dreams represent different aspects of ourselves. Here's a little exercise to try. Get a piece of paper and without thinking about it too much, write down every word that comes to mind when you think about your ex-roomie. Wait a while and then look at your list and write down what comes to mind when you look at your list of words. btw, despite all those books out there about dream analysis, no one but you can really decide what your dream means because it's based on your internal processes. If you try the exercise, let me know how it turns out.

Deb

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 2:38am
Hey Foxy, am definitely agreeing with Deb on this one. I'm very much a believer in the symbolic nature of dreams and that different parts of ourselves are sometimes manifested in others. I also believe that our deep-rooted feelings, desires, needs can be personified in dreams; that they take the form of a person. It's kinda strange, I know, but sometimes I wake up from a dream and I it's like I've been looking at myself in the body of someone else!

My guess would be that your dream was a manifestation of some very deep-rooted needs and longings in you - and that your ex-roomie just happened to be the body you put them in last night. I wouldn't get too bogged down with the face that is was HER, per se. You know, two nights ago I dreamt a British politician (from years ago) saved me in an earthquake. I felt so safe with him...protected, loved, secure. But there's no way that I'd be wanting to go root him out and ask him to be part of my life because of it. See what I mean?

Maybe you are yearning for Ms Right to come along, that your subconscious mind is raising those needs in your dreams? The only other possibility (as it seems to me) is that you may have had feelings for this woman all along but have never allowed yourself to explore them before? I guess, as Deb says, only you can really figure out what might be really going on there, Foxy.

I sure hope you figure it out, chickie, and that you managed to get some much needed rest. Let us know how you get on with this, kay?

*blowing special sleepy fairy dust your way* Loubie ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:30am
Hey Deb! That's my favorite dream technique. Usually, I then rewrite the dream using the people and concepts that I have connected to the original dream. I have come up with some incredible insights a time or two ;^)
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 4:46pm
Yeah Foxy... The others have given some good insights.. I did not ever try Deb's thing she mentioned but heck I am going too.. And you see Lou said she dreamt about a politician..I have had so many weird dreams and some like you have said.. I have felt completely and safely in love in some dreams with males and females..Some were people I knew some weren't.. It's weird I know.. I have also had dreams of having my heart broke and feeling so left so barren in some dreams.. I just figure most times they are just that dreams.. Not much one can do about it.. Not that I know of as yet any how..

((((Hugs)))))"CAT"