Enbrel and Rituxan Medicine Question

iVillage Member
Enbrel and Rituxan Medicine Question
Fri, 07-13-2007 - 3:31pm

Hi Everyone-
Met with my rheumatologist yesterday-- she added an injection of Enbrel to my medicine regiment. She said that Enbrel is actually for Arthritis patients but that in a small percentage of Lupus patients, adding it along with the methotrexate injection, prednisone, plaquinil, etc... was successful. My actual DX is Systemic Lupus with Sjogrens disease.

The Dr. said that honestly she didn't expect much success for me with this medicine and actually wants to put me on Rituxan but that we can not get to that without trying Enbrel for 3 or 4 months.

Has anyone taken either Enbrel or Rituxan? How did you do with them?

Thanks for sharing any information!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-14-2007 - 8:49am

I tried Emberal injections but had adverse-reactions.

cl-flowers

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-14-2007 - 6:32pm

Great website you provided me, thank you!

So adverse reactions, eh? Mostly I am scared at the idea that my immune system will be so weakened. I've been told that if I must go out while I am on this medication that I should wear a mask--- gheez-- that ought to help me feel real good about myself :)

Did you have any difficulty getting the insurance company to cover your enbrel?

Thanks again for the information!
Carole

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-15-2007 - 9:51am

Carole,

My insurance doesn't want to pay for anything, in fact

cl-flowers

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-23-2007 - 8:51pm

I've taken Enbrel for several years but for rheumatoid arthritis, not lupus. I do know of quite a few who are taking it for lupus and doing well with it. Rituxan is a tougher drug to take, more side effects and I'd suggest starting with Enbrel and see how it goes. It's not hard at all to inject it. I do 2 injections a week and there's little to no pain. My insurance (BlueX) covers it minus a $25 co-pay.

There's an arthritis chat here during the week and the moderator (Scoot) has Sjogren's and knows tons about it. Maybe the CL can give you a link to that chat. I think you'll really like it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-24-2007 - 10:10am

Here is the link to the chat 'greenmt2000' mentioned, you might want to write to to "scoot'-Myra as to when the next chat will be.

cl-flowers