Menopause at age 36? Is it possible?

iVillage Member
Menopause at age 36? Is it possible?
Tue, 09-06-2005 - 11:22am

Hi,
I am 36 years old and have been having a very bad time with health issues. For the past several months I have been experiencing sever anxiety attacks and am getting treated for this with meds and therapy. I wake up every morning feeling so anxious and uptight it is as though I have had a million cups of coffee before my feet hit the ground. I also have woken up on occassion just drenched in sweat and don't understand. Before all this it the fan I had gone to the Urgent Care and ER thinking I was dying and they were watching my heart but it turned out to be this "panic" thing. I am also being tested for a lightly enlarged Pituitary Gland and the Endocronologist said that a certain mormone is high as well as my cortosol levels. My therapist suggested something that did not occur to me. Am I starting menopause? Because I have been feeling so out of sorts and just nuts sometimes and I don't understand what is happening with my body. I am actually on short term disability from work right now because of the very stressful job I have and just stress in general and not being able to cope. And, I am a single mom of a 4 year old that gets no help from my ex so that is an added stresser and I must fix myself so I can be there for my daughter. Any ideas? I would think that I would be way too young to be going through this yet. But, I have had so many tests by doctors that they say there realy is not anything wrong with me. At least life threatening. The only thing I have not done is gone to my gynocologist to discuss this. I feel that if I brought it up with him he would say I was too young. Any thoughts? I am having these body temperature problems like hot/cold flashes, anxiety, depression, uneasiness, confussion, weird changes is tastes in my mouth which I can't explain, and tingling in my body. I feel like I am loosing control of my body.

Rene

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-06-2005 - 1:13pm
My older sister started it at 35, so YES it is possible. It sometimes is hereditary, as in her case. I started last year, but my hormone level didn't increase until last month. I hope you feel better soon with the right treatments. Txblue2U
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-06-2005 - 1:17pm

Hi Rene and welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2005 - 11:50am

Rene

When I was 33, I missed 2 or 3 periods. After taking several pregnancy tests, (all negative), I went to the gynecologist. He said I was either pregnant or in menopause. After a blood test he told me I was in premature menopause. I have had all the symptoms you mentioned plus many more. I have been on hormones since then, I could not handle the hot flashes. Go to the gynecologist, get checked out and do what needs done so you can feel normal. Or as normal as you can feel.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2005 - 4:52pm

Hi Rene,

You can tell from the other replies that entering perimenopause in your 30's is actually getting more and more common.

cl-rees422

Co-cl for the
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2005 - 7:29pm

Rene, the hormone your endocrinologist mentioned is probably prolactin - it can be raised when the pituitary gland is enlarged or is affected by a tumor.

Co-cl for
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-16-2005 - 1:55pm

Oh I just wanted to cry reading your post. Our symptoms aren't identical, but close enough. It's just like one thing after another and if you try to list them all to a Dr they just look at you like you're nuts and you FEEL nuts! I am 43 and have varying degrees of many of those things for the past few years. They really seemed to surface shortly after my daughter was born (over 8 yrs ago). I also had a lot of other stressors at the time, so ...after being tested for MS (well that was fun to think about) I was basically diagnosed as having stress related anxiety. I suspect some of that may have been some postpartum stuff that might have just started rolling right into perimenopause stuff. Welcome to the "I'm not making this up" club!

Pam