Underarm Odor

iVillage Member
Underarm Odor
Mon, 08-28-2006 - 6:33pm

I have what I believe is a common problem in menopause, but it is very embarrassing to me. I have heard that the changing hormones in a woman's body produce much stronger smelling perspiration, and I have experienced this for a while now. I have just been told by the third person that I need to apply more deoderant. I just want to die when I am told this, because it is so embarrassing and I am trying so hard to remedy this problem.

I bathe daily, sometimes twice a day, and apply deoderant five and six times a day. I am always checking myself, and it has become almost an obsession with me. I make sure my clothes are just out of the wash. I have tried several brands of deoderant and have had some luck with the "crystal" deoderant. I lather on several perfumes and body lotions. But I am apparently still having an occasional problem. I have become so hypervigilant that I am afraid I cannot even detect what I am smelling.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions as to deoderants or anything that will help me make it through a full day? I cannot always stop and re-shower or wash.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-28-2006 - 7:44pm

Hello,

I too have had this problem since I started menopause. My solution has been to
use my teenager's "Teen Spirit" since it seems that this problem also occurs in
adolesence too - maybe cause hormonal fluctuations are the same or something..??

Anyway - any deodorants that are good for teenagers seem to work - Teen Spirit works
best for me - OR the ones for men - like MITCHUM work too ... I gave up my "usual"
deodorant years ago cause it just wasn't working.

I also purchased some really pricey perfume from the department store - as it seems
the pricier ones ($60 - $100 bottles) last longer so I don't have to keep re-applying.

As for bath soap - I have switched to Dial Deodorant soap vs. my "usual" fancy herbal
or moisture soaps..

Glad to see someone else has this problem .. Lots of Fun!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-28-2006 - 11:46pm

Several years ago, I noticed this problem myself. For me, I was quite overweight and I think this certainly helped the problem. I have since lost 70 lb on Weight Watchers and I no longer have this problem.

Anyway, when I DID have body odor, I foung a way that really helped keep me fresh smelling all shift long. I am an x-ray tech and often bend over people so it was important that I smell decent!

Right after my AM shower, I applied the crystal stick to my wet armpits, AND in my upper-thigh-groin area-JUST the skin-NOT the genitals! Then after a few minutes, I dried my pits well and then I applied Secret PLATINUM. The Platinum costs a bit more than Secret regular but it WORKS! For me, anyway!

I also had to switch from my beloved Dove soap to Dial.

These simple techniques kept me fresh enough all day! Good Luck. Louanne

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-29-2006 - 3:37pm

I think that you will find that the more lotions and perfumes you use the worse it will get!

Co-cl for
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-30-2006 - 2:50pm
Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I have made a list of all suggestions and will be giving them all a try.
I am presently trying to lose weight, and maybe that will help.
I have switched to Mitchum for ladies and that seems to be working well. I have also been told that Sure works well.
I am going to try more expensive perfume because I have been using so much cheap perfume that I am tired of the alcohol smell.
I agree that what you eat has an effect on body odor. I can attest to the fact that vegans rarely have any body odor at all. A lot of meat eating seems to produce more odor.
Thank you all so much for the tips! If anyone has anything to add, I am still all ears!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-30-2006 - 6:35pm
I used to have problems with it, not anymore and I'm not sure why I did.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-28-2006 - 1:52pm

An update. The Mitchum deoderant is definitely helping, and I also use body powder and deoderant soap. I can wash and wash, but you are right, that bacteria still seems to be on my skin to potentially cause problems. I am diligent in this hygiene all day, but I feel like I am mostly odor-free now.

I have noticed, however, that perspiration seems to interact with my clothing sometimes to bring out an unpleasant odor in my shirt. I am now paying more attention to my laundry detergents, adding fresheners to the wash and the dryer. Ain't mid-life fun?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-28-2006 - 5:29pm
It is a quirky problem, and if it makes you feel better, I have no doubt lots and lots of people have this trouble.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-28-2006 - 6:47pm

Thanks, Joannaran, I have been trying everything! It seems it must be a bacteria problem, and so I have been actually intensely scrubbing my underarms several times a day. It seems impossible that the bacteria could return every few hours!

Yes, Mitchum for Ladies is both antiperspirant and deoderant, and it has been a lifesaver. It has 80 percent solved my problem. I will try the other suggestions, too.

This problem does make you paranoid, especially if you are in a close relationship with someone, or have to be at work long days in close contact with people. The time my BF gingerly asked me if my deoderant had worn off, during a hug, I was so embarrassed and could not tell there was a problem, even after checking myself several times a day. I was so frustrated, I wanted to cry. It's almost like you are so close to the forest, you cannot see the trees. I guess we all get used to our own aromas! Thank heavens for sweet, understanding boyfriends! He is definitely a keeper!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-29-2006 - 12:31am

I think I am keeping my underarm odor undercontrol But I have never had such stinky feet!
I bought a lightweight pair of slip on sneakers ( mesh, low cut) for the summer and have not worn socks with them except occasionally.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-29-2006 - 10:38am
Wearing sandals all summer has done away with that problem for me, but my feet are now dry as the desert! Oh, well. Old tennis shoes always aggravated the odor problem for me. So, I guess for the fall I will buy new tennis shoes and see how it goes. I see there are now all sorts of "shoe" deoderants on the shelf.

Pages