why does my stomach feel full

iVillage Member
why does my stomach feel full
Sun, 10-12-2008 - 3:38pm

Why does my stomach feel so full? it feels like it's full of water but i didn't drink or eat anything. I've also put on a few pounds because i've been somewhat irregular. I'm not hungry but i eat anyway to try and move whatever's in my stomach and it just wont go away. I feel so full all the time.

please help!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-14-2008 - 7:26pm

Do you have other symptoms other than feeling full? Are you gassy? do you have cramping or do you feel bloated? I ask, because if you do, those could be symptoms of a lactose intolerance of gluten intolerance. I would recommend that you start with an all liquid diet for a couple of days, focusing on white grape juice, broth, Gatorade, water and herbal teas. Then for the next week avoid all dairy and all wheat or gluten containing products. Keep fat levels very low, and try not to overdo the fiber, e.g. avoid All Bran cereal. A good idea of a menu plan would be Breakfast: soft boiled egg, banana and oatmeal, herbal tea. Lunch: Chicken rice soup, fresh pear, gluten free crackers (find them at your local natural foods store), Snack: Apple with peanut butter. Dinner: Baked salmon, cooked carrots, baked potato with soft margarine. If after a week, you are feeling better, you can experiment with adding back the gluten or the milk and see what happens. If you are fine, great, keep them in your diet. If not, try to eliminate them for awhile. Very important to keep fluid intake up, esp. when feeling bloated, as that will signal your kidneys that they don't need to retain fluids.

I hope you are feeling better very soon.

Sue Gilbert, M.S., Nutritionist at iVillage.com
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-25-2008 - 12:46pm

thank you for responding and sorry for responding so late...

I can't eat meats, chicken or fish. I have some sort of allergic reaction to it. the only dairy product i eat is butter. i eat ice cream sometimes (maybe once every 2 months)

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-27-2008 - 12:40pm
Have you consulted with your doctor to rule out any physiological or pathological reason for the problem? I sure hope so. What may help is to see a dietitian and start an elimination diet to help determine the culprits. An elimination diet is really a pared back diet where you are eating a limited variety of foods, and then you add back questionable ones, one at a time and look for symptoms. However, due to the extent of your concerns, I think getting a professional dietitian and/or doctor involved would be important.,
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-05-2008 - 7:16pm
I am having all those symptoms: full, bloated, gassy, etc + constipation. But I also have a really high cholesterol, which I'm trying to control with my diet at the moment. So this diet you just recommended doesn't work for me, as i can't eat most of it. I do eat all brain and skin milk every morning and drink a lot of water and green tea.
What should I do? I'm getting desperate here...
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-05-2008 - 7:32pm
I am having all those symptoms: full, bloated, gassy, etc + constipation. But I also have a really high cholesterol, which I'm trying to control with my diet at the moment. So this diet you just recommended doesn't work for me, as i can't eat most of it. I do eat all brain and skin milk every morning and drink a lot of water and green tea.
What should I do? I'm getting desperate here...