New here! Have Sciatica - anyone else?

iVillage Member
New here! Have Sciatica - anyone else?
Mon, 09-26-2005 - 6:48pm

Hi! This is my third back surgery, the first two I had pain down my right leg. This time I didn't, I only had low-back pain. They operated last month on my degenerated disk and now I have horrible sciatic nerve pain down my right leg. Is anyone familiar with this and if so, any tips on what to do? I'm terrified of another surgery, as I didn't recover so well from the last one. The pain meds don't seem to be helping the sciatic pain. :(

TIA!!

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-28-2005 - 12:40pm
Welcome! Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been haveing horrible tummy troubles. I have sciatica pain down my left leg, and have had for about 15 years. Off and on, not constant, thank goodness. There is not alot that helps when the pain flares up. I try hot baths, heat, and muscle rubs, also. I'm so sorry you are in such pain!! I have found a massage therapist who is able to help a little with muscle spasms that irritate the nerve. I hope you find relief soon!! I look forward to getting to know you!
Hugs,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
>
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-28-2005 - 2:36pm

What does it say that I forgot bursitis and sciatica when I dod my "how many" thread? Basically I just deal with so much bodywide pain and have so many conditions my poor brain gets overwhelmed and "forgets" what some of the pain is from. Lumps it all together.

But I am sitting here with a shooting pain down my butt and into my leg. At least it's a good day and the whole nerve isn't irritated. And the bursitis of the hip (which is the long nerve down the side of the leg) is fairly calm today. That one is aggravated when I have to do something that requires a lot of bending- like gardening or cooking in a kitchen where most things are stored in reach of my wheelchair-bound mother (and I'm the main cook in the family... at least we garden in containers that are off the ground, again so Mom can reach them)

Stretching does help- thins the nerve so that it isn't compressed or something like that. I take turns since some of the exercises that help the sciatica annoy my bursa and vice versa. But it can be painful, as you've realized. For me, it's usually ice that helps, except for when it makes it worse and I know I shoulda used heat. I'm frusterated- as I'm sure you can tell- and it sounds like you are too! But at least here we can get whatever practical advice is available and grouch to someone who wants to listen, knows what we're feeling (literally), and knows that sometimes a string of complaints isn't wallowing in misery, it's getting it out of our system so we can go do whatever we need to do, since the

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-28-2005 - 5:00pm
I, too, have chronic bursitis in my hips, but never connected it to the sciatica. I've had the bursitis for over 10 yrs and the sciatica is fairly new. It feels like a hot knife in the middle of my butt running down my leg.
Deb
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2005 - 9:25am

Hi, annamasonsnana, I am just thinking of you and hoping things are okay for you right now.

Sending positive thoughts and love,

Nadine - deenie1979

jesussig.jpg image by nadine1979

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-22-2005 - 8:06pm

I have a suggestion to all of you, particularly those with "bursitis". I had been told over and over again that I had bursitis in both hips and that bursitis was the reason for all my butt/hip/leg pain.

A trip to a sports med doc who used to be a physical therapist turned out better than I could have ever hoped. He diagnosed "Piriformis Syndrome". The piriformis is a muscle in the buttock, below the glute.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-22-2005 - 9:30pm

I am sooooo glad you found something that worked out for you!!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-22-2005 - 11:45pm
Wow! I'm so glad you found relief! That sounds like it could be my problem or part of it, antway. I will definately look into it! Thanks so much for the info. I hope you continue to feel so good you won't need yourpass any more. Thanks a bunch!
Hugs,

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2005 - 8:03pm

Thanks, beanygurl!

Nadine - deenie1979

jesussig.jpg image by nadine1979

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 8:20pm

Thanks for the replies. I haven't needed any follow up treatment since my initial two treatments a couple of years ago.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2007 - 6:30pm
I am new to ivilliage and sciatica...if you ever wanna talk let me know.

Pages