extreme leg sensitivity- any clue?

iVillage Member
extreme leg sensitivity- any clue?
Wed, 06-21-2006 - 11:56am

i posted this in the "ask the health librarian" and she didn't know where to send me. iseem to have everyone stupmped. She suggestreed this board might possib;y help:

So I have had this issue for a long time- at least 1.5 years, possibly even longer. My legs are extremely sensitive to touch. Any amount of pressure on them feels like I am pressing bruises. It is the whole leg, top to bottom (both legs). I realzed how bad it was when i had a gift certificate for a massage and the woman began massaging my legs, and it was absolutely excruciating. If i sit with one leg,say, resting on the coffee table, I cant cross the other one over it, because it hurts, and sometimes when i stretch out, my husband tries to sit with his legs resting on mine, but it is too painful. also, the pain takes a few seconds to really kick in. if i ran my hand down my leg, with just a bit of pressure, about 3-5 seconds after, it would hurt tremendously.
I don't know if this makes any sense, but it's difficult to explain. Anybody hear of this or have anything like it? I have been searching online and nothing sound slike this problem I have. it's frustrating. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
i should also point out that my legs don't just hurt without being touched, it takes that very small amount of pressure. A nerve issue perhaps. i appreciate any help at all

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-22-2006 - 2:55pm

Welcome to our little neighborhood buttercup.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-22-2006 - 9:45pm

Hi, buttercup, and welcome!

Nadine - deenie1979

jesussig.jpg image by nadine1979

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-04-2006 - 11:54am
I have the exact same problem. I have been telling my doctors about it for over a year. My OB/GYN did say that it can be a side effect of taking birth control, but she has offered no relief for the issue. I am so frustrated. When ever I mention it at a doctor visit they seem to blow it off, as if it's not a big deal. I don't think they understand how excruciating the pain is...and without any real cause. Just like you, when my husband and I are just resting together, in bed or in the living room, he will put his legs on mine...and not right away, but within a few seconds I am in extream pain. it lasts a few seconds and them seems to vanish. The sensitivity is worse in my lower legs. Have you had any responses from this posting, or from a doctor that have explained this sensitivity? If so, please share....
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-04-2006 - 10:05pm
I get that too and I have fibromylagia and rheumatoid arthritis.It's painful at times to be touched at all on my legs or arms and other joints.I think this is the fibro.there is afibro board here that you can get more info.Gentle hugs shilleagh
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-16-2006 - 6:48pm

Have you tried PT before? It might be worth it just to have an eval. I think that PT's/OT's see it more than most doc's do. They also could work on desensitization with you......Just a thought.

Gentle hugs,

Kristy

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2008 - 8:54pm

Hi!

I have the same exact condition. But it only affects the front of my calves. My legs are slightly purple in color and look

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2008 - 10:19pm

I am clearly not a dr, but I think I might be able to help you! I have the same condition, and while I think it could be RSD (which it hasn't been diagnosed in me yet) but it might be a good idea and have your dr. order an MRI of your lower spine. The burning sensation you are feeling may be a result of your lumbar discs (or elsewhere depending on WHERE you feel the sensitivity) hitting a nerve.

In my case, I have L4-5 herniation and S1 is completely dried out. I also have a small herniation between T6-7. The L4 issue is pressing on my sciatic nerve, and I have terrible sciatica from my rear end down to my knee. It is also affecting my feet--my left foot gets a sensation of warm water running over my foot and my right foot is cramping up. I also experience the burning, tingling, and electric sensation on the outside of my thighs too.

I've been in PT for nearly a year for other reasons, but for this too, and he's awesome--I've gotten many, many tools/exercises that help relieve the pain. I've had an epidural too and that has given me a lot of relief!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2008 - 12:34am
I am just wondering if you ever found any possible explanations for your leg sensitivity?
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2008 - 5:26pm
HI there. Well, I have had a few suggestions, as you see. Nothing seems to quite fit though. The RSD some poeple described sounds for more intense and complicated than my issue. i guess that doesn't mean it's not that though.
I have thought about fibro, my mother and a friend of mine have it, both said it sounds like that. so that's a possibility.
I talked with my dr about it, who suggested i take ibuprofen and put warm compresses on them to see if that helps. ha... i don't think he took it very seriously.
Lately, i have just been ignoring it. not easy, especially when i bump into something or someone and i react like i've been shot. People think it's odd to say the least. I have sort of gotten used to it. it hurts alot, and i know i shouldn't just let it go forever. i just let dealing with it fall to the background.
If I get any new info or diagnosis, I will keep you posted. If you come up with any likely ideas, let me know...
Thanks
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-24-2008 - 9:03am

Thanks for responding. This really puzzles me.

Pages