A couple of questions

iVillage Member
A couple of questions
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 10:46pm
First, thank you to all that answered my post before... it did feel good knowing that im not alone.... i was/am embarssed to say all of that b/c i always felt like i'm going crazy or something... it makes me feel so helpless when icant even control my own emotions. Today i was feeling like crap, like i couldve cried at the snap of a finger....i hate that....

but for my questions....

1st.. some people talked about OCD being related to anxiety disorders.... how is that?? How do some (or even me) display Obsessive-compulsive actions?

2nd.. can anyone recommend good books or websites on anxiety disorders?

3rd.. if you've read my previous post, does it sound like an anxiety disorder or something of the like? (i know that may sound like a silly question seeing as those who responded said you could relate, but im just not sure if i'm blowing it out of proportion or not....) this also ties into my 4th question....

4th.. I don't mean to self-diagnose or anything, and I don't know if this is common for an anxiety disorder... I get feeling like this a couple times a month, sometimes out of nowhere, sometimes when i'm real stressed... it DOES interefere with my work and social life, BUT, it only lasts for about 1-4 days before im feeling "back to normal"... like i wrote in my previous post, i wasn't even depressed, just those thoughts came from nowhere and all of a sudden, 'bang', i felt like crap, i felt scared and i felt hopeless. is that odd or can anxiety attacks come and go like that?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:29pm
Hello,

I can totally relate to you and your "bad thoughts". I never had these intruding thoughts until about a year ago, and basically in a nutshell, my thoughts were all of me losing control, not having any control. I would picture things in my head that would scare the hell out of me. I would picture things that would put me on the front picture of the news paper!!! (I would never do these things, it was scarry to think them) While these thoughts were happening I would feel so horrible about myself and I would feel so bad. I felt like I was losing my mind. I would always wonder why couldn't I think HAPPY thoughts, why can't I picture feeling good and being sane? I would always think the worst things about people.

At the same time, I would worry about my sister when she would go out shopping alone with my neice, worrying that someone might kidnap her or something bad would happen. I would worry about everything. I would worry about my mom. Yet at the same time, I was having these stupid horrible thoughts about losing control of myself. Or I would be having depressing thoughts.

So I started taking Zoloft 25mg, and it has made a big difference so far. I may increase it to 50 mg next month. I still get these stupid thoughts every now and then, but I have more control over them. It's great not getting all freaked out over something that I am thinking. Feeling as if I am in full control again. I feel like I am starting to get my normal life back. I feel good, knowing that I finally have the courage to take these meds.

I feel even better KNOWING that I am not alone and that you are here and so many other people on this board to help us through it. I don't want to self diagnose myself or you, but I think these intrusive thoughts are a form of OCD.

You've made a huge step posting here, and you are so brave to come here, please keep us posted or email me whenever you would like. Don't worry, you are going to be fine.

Amanda

Amanda

When someone tells you that you can't go any farther, just tell them to look behind you and see how far you've