Help

iVillage Member
Help
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 4:48pm
--Ugh, I'm only 17 and I've been told by my doctor I'm having anxiety paniac attacks. I have some medication called Alprazholm. Something like that. I don't have any refills and this "anxiety" has been literally driving me insane. I can't concentrate, I can't sit and read without getting anxious and I need to get up and walk around. I can only take this medication when I really need it but I can't control this.

I've had to leave school twice and I can't help myself. Its this never ending battle that keeps me feeling like I have a wire not connected in my head. I can't do this anymore. Do I need everyday medication? What am I going to do? I can't much more of this. I can't have this the rest of my life.

I've never had this before but from the past month, 3 weeks have gone to this anxiety and it won't go away. Why me? Why do I have this? I haven't felt like myself and I'm thinking I never will. Help please. What am I going to do?

Heather

iVillage Member
In reply to: roses_and_wine
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 6:23pm
Welcome to the board, I too had anxiety when I was in high school and it was very difficult, I have had anxiety problems since I was 8 or so. Any way it was very hard for me to sit in class let alone pay attention but I did somethings that helped. First off I stopped drinking any caffiene like soda or coffee that really helps! In class I would try to talk my self thorough the panic attacks and tell my self that it is going to be ok. Also try doodling on a piece of paper sometimes just doing something helps. My school nurse knew about my problem so if it got bad I would go sit in the nurses office for a little while. What did your dr say about your anxiety? What it sounds like is you just got meds that are fast acting not for the long run. I am now 23 and I just started meds for my panic attacks and anxitey so it has been along time comming for me to do something about it. Also I have been in counceling for about 6 months and that is really working well for me to talk about my problems and having someone work with me to try and fix them. I hope to see you here again I really love this board and it is so great to talk with all these people who go throught what you go through! Welcome again!

Take care, Robin.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:54am
What you are taking or the prescription that you mentioned generic for Xanax. That's what I have. I take it usually to help me fall asleep or to calm me down when I know my anxiety/panic is going to get bad.

If I were you I would make a doctors appointment and see what your doctor thinks about putting you on something every day. If he already gave you Xanax, then he will probably put you on something for every day use. I don't know. I don't know how long you have to have the symptoms before they give you anything or how they determine that.

Have you been stressed out lately? Is there something that's been on your mind that is worrying you? Are you taking any other medication that could possibly cause you to be anxious?

In the meantime, you should avoid caffeine and try calm yourself. Picture yourself in a happy place. Lay down, close your eyes, and imagine floating on a raft in calm waters, on the beach, just taking in the sun and feeling so relaxed. Tell yourself that theres nothing to be anxious about, talk yourself out of the attack. Learn ways to try to control this. Certain smells actually relieve stress and anxiety...like Lavender and Eucalyptis (not sure of the spelling?), and at Bath and Body they have the linen sprays you can spray on your pillow, even the candles. Maybe this will help until you get to see your doc.

Good luck,

Amanda

Amanda

When someone tells you that you can't go any farther, just tell them to look behind you and see how far you've

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 3:08pm
--Unfortunatly, we no longer have a school nurse or "clinic". Its either stay in class or go home. (can you believe that? I think the reason why is because people took advantage of it too get OUT of class)

I am on Xanax, but I went to the doctor today and I've been put on daily medication PAXIL CR and CLONAZEPAM. I'm going to be starting therapy so I'm really hoping this will work. I can't have this the rest of my life. I've only had this for a little bit but its really drained me and I feel like its taking my life away. I only hope this works.

But thanks so much.

Heather

*OH yeah, I've laid off the caffeine for about a week now. Hopefully I can keep away from coke!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 3:13pm
--Thanks Amanda. I've got that and now I've been put on PAXIL CR and CLONAZEPAM for about 3-4 months and I'll be having therapy too help me out. I only hope I can get my life back together and not have to worry about this. (literally)

The only thing I can think of thats really stressing me out is graduating this year. I'm leaving behind all my friends (more like their leaving me behind since I'm staying home) and I love high school. I like having a "comfort zone" my mom says. Some drastic change can possibly effect me more than I realize.

Either way, I only hope that this will help and I can be normal again. I just can't walk around all day and feel normal with this system of mine. I'm worried I'm going to have this for the rest of my life. I can only hope since its just started within the past 2 months I can revamp it and it'll never come back!

Heather

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 4:24pm
That is good that they will put you on something long term! I just started Paxil Cr 12 days ago! Keep me updated on how it goes ok?

Take care, Robin.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:31pm
Hi Heather! Welcome to our board! It's a friendly place and a safe place to talk about what's going on with you. Right now you are confronted by something that has a little more control over you than you would like. It's not, however, the end of the world. I'm not making light of what's going on, but I can tell you that it is possible to get better. I had my first bouts with anxiety and panic when I was 17. Yes, it was rough, but I decided that I was going to get help and get better. Will you have this for the rest of your life?? Maybe. It's possible that you are a little more sensative than other folks so you will effected differently by stress and life's little curves. But again that is not something terrible. You will learn how to relax, how to resolve issues, how to NOT build on that initial anxious feeling and you will learn that what you experience are FEELINGS only and not often based in your reality. So talk here and listen too. There are lots of people that, like me, are a lot older than 17 and have had lots of experience working with anxiety. Blessings to you. Suz

Blessings, Suz   Posts in this Community