Do I need anti-depressants?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Do I need anti-depressants?
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 4:55am
A few weeks ago I started experiencing dizziness and feelings of panic. They were usually triggered off when I went shopping or to busy places. It came to a point where I was frightened to go out in case I got another attack and I couldn't do my job either. When I went to the doctor, she said these panic attacks were probably due to my recent bereavement ( my dad died 5 months) and I was given betablockers. These didn't help at all so I went back to the doctor. I had some blood tests and it turned out that I am severely anaemic. I've been off work a month and am due to go back to work next week, but don't feel as if I could cope. I'm still too scared to go places on my own and have no energy at all. I'm worried that I'm never going to be able to do my job again.

I feel sick and have a stomachache most of the time and have lost a stone in weight, but I don't know whether this is because of the iron tablets I am taking.

I'm finding it really hard to come to terms with my dad's death. Every symptom I get I think it could be cancer. I feel trapped at home and can't get on with normal life. Am I depressed or anxious or both?
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 9:02am
In my opinion, I don't think it would hurt. Maybe you just need something to help you get through this time in your life. Maybe all you need is to talk to someone. I would talk to your doctor and see what he/she can do. A lady here at work lost her mother and had some problems as a result. She was taking antidepressants and talking to a therapist and now is off the antidepressants and is doing pretty good.

You need to be strong, and I am sure that if your father were here today he wouldn't want to see you like this. So try your best to push yourself and go back to work. I am sure the people at your job miss you too!

Good luck

Amanda

Amanda

When someone tells you that you can't go any farther, just tell them to look behind you and see how far you've

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 10:41am
First of all I am sorry for your loss, I lost my dad almost 4 years ago (when I was 19) and I still dont think I have dealt with it. I am now on Paxil Cr (12 days) but I have had panic issues since I was 8. I dont think it would hurt to look in to counceling I have been going since september and it is really helping! I would probally put in another call to you Dr.

Take care, Robin.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:45pm
Welcome to our Board! I'm not a doctor, but I feel like you are anxious and the panic attacks are causing you to experience the regular symptoms and much of it is probably because of your recent loss. You may be in a mild depression too, that is the result of grief. I'd talk with your doctor about short term medication and also a few sessions with a grief counselor or join a grief support group. Losing a parent is not easy at any age and we have to remember that this loss really puts our own mortality right in our faces. None of us want to die, but when we lose someone close to us, especially a parent, we have to think about ourselves too. I am older than you, an only child, lost my dad in 2000 at age 89 and I've had some trouble with that loss. But my reality is that I'm fine, that someday I will die, but right now I'm fine and I need to live the day and the moment. What's important here is that you curb the panic that deters you from living outside your house. I feel like your doctor will understand, so be sure to be honest about what you are feeling. Let us know how you are getting along. We will enjoy hearing from you. Blessings to you. Suz

Blessings, Suz   Posts in this Community