When do you take your Zoloft?

iVillage Member
When do you take your Zoloft?
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:17am
To those of you taking Zoloft, what time of the day do you take it? Today is only day 3 for me. Monday I took it as soon as I left the doctor's office, and I noticed that it made me quite tired, so I decided to take it right before I went to bed last night, and my brain wouldn't shut off (I normally don't have that problem when trying to fall asleep). So I'm thinking I will wait to take my next pill tomorrow morning (which will mean I'm not taking any today at all). Or do you think I should take it when I get home from work today at 6:00, and then need be, I could always just take a sleeping pill. It's possible that I got too much sleep Monday night, and that's the reason why I couldn't fall asleep last night, I don't know.

Any suggestions? My doctor said it would be fine taking it either time, but he warns his patients that they may have a hard time sleeping.

~ Kathy

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:37am
Kathy,

I am on day 15 of Zoloft, and I first started taking it at 6:00 p.m. The very first night I took it, I woke up having a full blown anxiety attack. It was weird. Then I continued taking it at 6:00 p.m. the first week. I noticed that I was VERY tired by bed time and had a good nights sleep. THEN I was talking to a few people here at work that are taking anti depressants and they said that they take theirs in the morning, and that I should switch. SO I switched and started taking it in the morning at 9:00 a.m. NOW, I am so tired by mid afternoon. I think I MIGHT go back to taking it at 6:00 p.m. I hear this side effect is supposed to wear off.

Well, good luck, let us know how it works for you.

Amanda

Amanda

When someone tells you that you can't go any farther, just tell them to look behind you and see how far you've

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:49am
Hi!

When I first started Zoloft (about a year ago) I wasn't sleeping well at all, so Dr told me to take Zoloft in am, and I was taking Trazadone at night to help me sleep for about a month. She told me Zoloft can make some people "hyper".

At one point when I wasn't sleeping well again my new doctor suggested that start taking my Zoloft before I went to bed, ( I was no longer taking Trazadone) and it should help me sleep. Well I tried for a few nights and had the worst night sleeps ever, I felt anxious, just awful. So I quickly went back to taking it in the am.

My point, I take it right when I wake up, it's beside my nightstand! First thing in the morning, seems to work for me.

Amy

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 10:37am
I dont take Zoloft but I am taking Paxil Cr (12 days on it) however I take mine at 12:30 in the afternoon and it is working so far I like to take it then cause then its around lunch time and that is the only meal I can count on to be around the same time. I do get very tired in the afternoon but hopefully that side effect will go away.

Take care, Robin.