epsom salt for anxiety

iVillage Member
epsom salt for anxiety
Sun, 11-08-2009 - 6:40pm
According to the Epsom Salt Council bathing in this stuff & allowing your skin to absorb it may:

• Improve heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.

• Improve the body's ability to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
  • Flush toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.

• Improve nerve function by regulating electrolytes. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.

• Relieve stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.

Now I just need to teach my kids I get bath time too :-)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-11-2009 - 6:48pm
I've used epsom salt for years now, my mother use to put it in our bath for those sore muscles kids alway get.
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-12-2009 - 4:57pm
It is SOOOOOO good to see you, K! How are you feeling? I miss ya muchly gf. (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-12-2009 - 5:07pm

I think some of this was a repeat, Bonnie, but I c/p it anyway from eHow. I was wondering about the sulfur business. I am allergic to sulfa which I wasn't as a kid. It's been that long ago since my mom used it on my frequent sprained ankles & aching legs which she called *growing pains.* BTW, I read somewhere NOT to use soap w/the epsom salts. It messes w/the relief you're seeking, making the epsom salts useless. Tell your kids not to use soap. LOL (((hugs))) jan
Epsom salt is a combination of magnesium and sulfates. There are many benefits of Epsom salt baths. Soaking in a bath of Epsom salts can relax your muscles, reduce inflammation, minimize pain, fade bruising, aid digestion, relieve stress and tension, and detoxify your body.

Pain and Inflammation
1. Epsom salts can ease muscle cramps and pain from inflammation. It can also relieve tired, aching feet and may be used to treat the pain and inflammation of gout. According to the Epsom Salt Council, two cups of Epsom salts should be added to your bath for soaking. One cup of Epsom salts added to a foot bath can be soothing. The water should be as hot as you are able to tolerate.
Stress and Tension
2. Having too much adrenalin in your body can result in a low magnesium level. Stress can be caused by a deficiency of magnesium in your blood. Magnesium attaches to serotonin, a mood-enhancing hormone, and helps to relax you. It can also lower your blood pressure, improve your concentration and help you sleep.
Detoxification
3. Your body can accumulate a residue of medications and impurities from the environment. Soaking in a bath of Epsom salts can pull these toxin from the cells of your body through reverse osmosis. This is a process where salt is drawn from your body and the toxins come with it. It can also soothe your nerves by balancing your electrolytes.
Digestion
4. Sulfates trigger the pancreas to release digestive enzymes as they are needed. While sulfates are not easily obtained through foods, they can absorb very quickly through your skin. Sulfates can aid your nutrient absorption. They are also important for production of mucin proteins, the cells that secrete mucus along your digestive tract.
Other Benefits
5. According to Natural Home Remedies, Epsom salt can assist in blood circulation, aid in wound healing, remove foot odor, soften your skin and increase your strength and stamina. The Epsom Salt Council adds the benefits of increasing the effectiveness of insulin, lowering blood pressure, improving oxygen use and easing the pain of migraine headaches.
Cautions
6. The use of Epsom salt baths is not recommended without the consultation of your health care provider. Hypermagnesemia in a condition of excess magnesium that may be fatal. Epsom salts should not be used if you have an allergy to sulfur or if you are pregnant.

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-14-2009 - 11:42pm

Strange, I was doing a search on my 7yo who hits himself & followed a trail which eventually lead me to magnesium deficiency as possible cause to anxiety. One website I'm reading now, just started, states he believes, from following studies, it's possible this Mg deficiencies may be a cause to other mental illnesses.

Now what is also sort of freaking me out ... just before Halloween I finally realized the reason my son may not like physical activity is perhaps he's double-jointed. I started to look up 'hypermobility' realizing this is something I have too.

So there is some correlation between hypermobility, Mg deficiency & ANXIETY. (And other stuff ... just listing the ones related to me.) Like Mg deficiency may cause the hypermobility & anxiety.

I found on the Epsom Salt Council to bathe 3x a week. I've had 2 baths so far. I have not noticed any mood changes, but, I DO love how my skin feels for the next 12-14 hours. Especially my feel - it's like I have RLS with way my feet rub each other while trying to go to bed LOL.

Peace

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng