Hmmm....too much too soon?

iVillage Member
Hmmm....too much too soon?
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 6:36pm

Today has been...not really bad, but kind of ick.

I think I did something a little not-so-smart last night. Since this all blew up on me, I have avoided caffeine and alcohol religiously. Since I was settled on the Celexa and almost off the Klonopin, I gave in and had a small glass of wine last night.

Of course then I got nervous about taking my .25mg of Klonopin (having reduced from .5 Tuesday night) and decided not to take it. Didn't sleep great, though that's been the case since I got sick and all stuffy and coughing.

Today I haven't been panicky, but definitely anxious and jittery. Definitely taking my little K dose tonight.

Not sure if it's because of last night, or just because I've been laying around the house with my cold for a few days and my body needs to move, but errrgh.

No likey.

Edited 5/7/2010 6:37 pm ET by lily_rose_fae
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 12:04am

I've had the same reaction with Celexa and alcohol.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 1:01pm

That's good to know. The bottle says not to drink with it, but I know so many people on SSRIs, and they all drink. My understanding is the primary effect is that you get intoxicated faster. But this was...interesting. I suppose though that if alcohol normally causes a rebound effect on my anxiety, that too could be amplified...?

I'll try again sometime and see what happens. Probably not good to try my first drink AND my first night of no Klonopin at the same time, especially after a couple days of sleeping poorly from a cold.

I'll wait awhile before trying again and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your experience with it!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 3:24pm
I'm not in favor of adding alcohol to any antidepressant & a benzo to boot. Just a risky move no matter how you look @ it. I have trouble w/alcohol. I don't like the relaxing effect it has on me, because jan really HAS to be in control;) Also, I have found that later on, as it's leaving my system, I get antsy. Kind of anxious & a couple of times it threw me right into a panic. We're all affected by meds & alcohol differently. I know that I do poorly w/alcohol, so it's on my no-no list, like cold meds & epinephrine @ the dentist. (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk