Chiropractors, Orchex and Drenamine?

iVillage Member
Chiropractors, Orchex and Drenamine?
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 7:52am

When I started getting the migraines again, my friend suggested I see a chiropractor.

Stacey

Loving Mom to Brendan (10), Samma (6), Delaney Kate (3) and Natalie "MiMi" (2)

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 9:01am

Stacey - my bil is a chiropractor and I am going to ask him about these products and see what his take is on it.

Trudy

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 9:31am
Thanks so much Trudy!

Stacey

Loving Mom to Brendan (10), Samma (6), Delaney Kate (3) and Natalie "MiMi" (2)

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 11:46am

ooohhh yuck!

Did you read to find out what Orchex is?

"Orchex is a Cytosol™ extract taken from the bovine testis, a male reproductive gland."

Maybe that is why ppl are not just popping them!

I cannot find much on Drenamine either, but it sounds like it comes from bovine adrenal. So I guess if you're a vegetarian you cannot take these supplements.

One thing I did notice on both of the above were the mention of the source of Vitamin B. Vitamin B is definitely the best supplement I've found to help support my anxiety. I use an oat extract during times of high stress. It does help a great deal.

"customized vitamins"

Yeah perhaps it is a scam. My sister's family drives over an hour to talk to a computer screen outside a man's office. He then diagnosis via camera (they are all in awe at how much he can pin point on them) and they go home & they get customized herbs/supplements in the mail later. They did say it was expensive, but they believe they work. It's amazing what the brain can do when it believes. Though there are a lot cheaper ways to convince your brain you're healing.

But why do doctor's not give us a test? This is a sore spot for me. I think they can. It may not be 100% accurate, but my H suffers from bipolar. Due to the types of meds he must take for his illness he needs to take many blood tests all the time. His doc will tell him about some of the vitamin/minerals he's lacking & will even px stronger doses for the ones he's really lacking & was told once they can bring his balance back up he should start feeling more energized & less depressed.

So *I* think docs 'can' but don't for various reasons.

1. Because it is not an exact science insurance companies will not pay.

2. Because docs generally do not like to recommend taking any specific supplements b/c it's not regulated by the Food & Drug.

3. Docs treat symptoms, not the source of the problem. Homeopathic (which chiropractor's tend to follow) want to treat the source not the symptom.

4. Docs get a kick back from insurance companies and are strongly influenced to px meds rather than recommend alternatives.

etc.

How I found the oat extract was at a time I was trying to find a way to quit smoking without a nicotine replacement. I believe it is Germany where doctors recommend the oat extract to patients trying to quit smoking & other drug habits b/c of it's high successful rate.

The oat extract (full of vitaimin Bs & maganeses) is known as a nerve tonic & is also recommended for anxiety & mild depression. Now, I'm sure it was a combination of things I did, but I feel the oat extract was an amazing aid in my SUCCESSFUL cessation.

Now days my H can tell when I am taking an oat extract & I'll even give to my son when his anxieties are high & his teacher will notice a difference (but not as dramatic of a difference as Omega-3 makes).

----

Now I am very weary of supplements, just as weary as an px medication. I want to know what I'm putting into my body. I need to know the side effects. I prefer to only use something I'd consume eating normal foods - like the oat & omega.

Finally, there is one thing to remember in all of this. All bodies are different & react differently to medicines/supplements. What works for one person may not work for another.

Good luck on your quest. I think it is good to try different things, yet educate as well.

Peace

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 3:23pm
Thankfully Bonnie knows about the supplements. I'm not familiar w/either of them. As for the money making scheme, it may well be. I'm not in favor of an independent company doing testing & then pushing their products. If I decided to go w/alternatives, I would see a naturopath or an herbalist. I watched Horse Boy on PBS. The parents of an autistic boy took him to Mongolia to visit shamans. Believe it or not, I would do something like that. Ayurvedics, Chinese medicine, etc. has been practiced successfully for ages. I have more faith in them than Trump Enterprises. As for the chiro, I say yay! They have done a lot of good work w/ppl who had migraines.
Let us know what you decide & how it works for you. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 2:21pm

Hi Stacey - Checked with my brother in law and he has those in his line of supplements that he carries.

Trudy