Need to vent!

iVillage Member
Need to vent!
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 8:19pm

Dh and I got home from work yesterday and there were papers in the mail from the neurologist office. They are just forms I need to fill out as a new patient and instructions for my visit, what to bring etc. I immediately started having a panic attack!! DH said he will fill out all the papers for me so I don't have to deal with that. I just have to call my Dr to get the records the neurologist will need. I have been a mess since then!!

BOOP

Three grand essentials to life are...something to do

iVillage Member
In reply to: booplady44
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 8:49pm

((((Hugs)))) It sounds like this is just going to be one of those things you have anxiety about. It's hard to compare one situation to another though, because you're in a different place now that you were when you had the cancer scare. Just remember to be kind to yourself. I know it's frustrating, but you HAVE dealt with a lot in recent years. It's not unusual for stress to have a cumulative effect and for us to focus in on certain issues. My prediction is that while it may be an uncomfortable few weeks, you're going to be just fine in the end.

This may sound wonky, but sometimes it does help to just accept that you're going to have the anxiety. This helps me in situations like yours when I can't seem to talk myself out of it. I just accept that it's gonna suck and go with it. I may still have anxiety, but I can stop obsessing about it. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Jess

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 9:38pm

I think your totally right Jess. I just need to accept that I'm going to have anxiety and deal with it the best I can.

BOOP

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 6:41am

I totally understand that not being able to plan past a certain event thing. This has happened to me a few times. The last time was Dh's last deployment. It was an awful feeling, just feeling like there was nothing for me beyond his leaving. I remember talking to my therapist about it, telling her that I felt like I was going to die. I realized, though, that it wasn't so much that as it was that I couldn't imagine anything good about life without Dh. I also realized that I was having so much anxiety about it because I just really didn't want to have to deal with what came after. Because I didn't want to have to do it, the feeling of dread just increased and I got even more scared.

I wonder if you're experiencing something similar. Do you think it's possible that your fear that something is really wrong has transformed into a dread of what might come after your appointment?

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 7:36am

Yes, I think your right. Thats why my mind won't think past that date. I guess to accept that I am going to be anxious until the appt and not even try to think past it is the thing to do right now.

BOOP

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 3:16pm
When I'm anxious, everything, big or small seems to set me off, Gracie! Let your dh fill out the papers. The papers indicated to your subconscious that you really had a medical issue that needed attended too & that appointment was for real! Not just a date on the calendar. Focus on keeping your anxiety in a level that you can tolerate. Use all the coping tricks you know. Please, for YOUR sake & the fact that WE CARE ABOUT YOU on this board, GET to that appointment!
Once you can get the exam & evaluation completed, I believe that just as you faced problems in the past & forged ahead, you will do it again! GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk