Effexor Vs Cymbalta for GAD

iVillage Member
Effexor Vs Cymbalta for GAD
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 11:26pm
I have been on Effexor 150 or was for about 6 weeks. I then feel into a funk a deep depression, which was around that time of the month so it could have been hormonal. My gp Dr added Wellbutrion 150 then 300, I was doing Ok and was finally able to get in to see a psychiatrist. He told me to discontinue the Wellbutrin and to go back up to 150 on the Effexor (when my gp Dr added Wellbutrin he decreased my Effexor to 75). I have doubts about the Effexor because I don't feel it's worked, especially after experiencing the depression. I asked the psychiatrist what he would have put me on had I walked into his office on no medication and he said Cymbalta. I know everyone reacts differently, but I'm wondering if I should stick with the Effexor since I have no side effects now or come off it...which I hear is difficult and start with Cymbalta which may or may not be better and possibley deal with side effects again. Could you please share your experience on Cymbalta and Effexor particularly if you were being treated for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Thanks!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 9:00am

Hi,
Well in just remembering that meds react differently with everyone so stay with your Doc and you might have to try different things/ /believe me the one thing I know is anxiety phobias fear depression have no quick fix :( but being aware is your first step.
I will tell you about my bout with effexor. Worked great for about a year but I had climbed up to 225mg which I took at 6pm. If I forgot one day to take it the next days side effects were terrible and it took two days to feel normal again. I became more fearful over missing a dose causing anxiety to reoccurr. I am now trying cymbalta. My doc says I should not get the reaction like effexor if I forget a dose. ( as we both know depression anxiety people can be forgetful lol) So far the cymbalta has helped but it has taken 4weeks to get here and it is to early for me to tell you more than that. I will say you are not alone. This disorder sucks cause so many Docs like primary care do not like to deal with this so a true phychiatrist who knows the meds is a great help. Do not loose your faith I'll keep you in my prayers. Remember one day at a time. ~~~amy :)
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 5:10pm
Hi & welcome! We have had boardies post that wellbutrin actually made their anxiety worse. How long have you been on the higher dose of effexor? Even if you had taken it before, it will take 4 to 6 weeks to reach an optimal level. I know it's difficult to wait): I took effexor & it worked great for my panic & anxiety. I took around 325mg. But, all meds affect ppl differently. As for the cymbalta, it's a good med, but we haven't had a lot of ppl post about it for anxiety on this board. You might try posting on the Antidepressant Medications board for help: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhpaxil
It's a fact that it takes about three tries to get the correct med & dosage. In your shoes, I would give the effexor a shot & if it doesn't work as you feel it should, try the cymbalta as your pdoc suggested. Don't lose hope.
Are you seeing a therapist? Research has shown that meds are ok, but in combination w/therapy, they work much better. GL & GBU! Keep in touch. (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk