Freaking out a bit

iVillage Member
Freaking out a bit
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 10:56am

I am going to apologize now if this ends up being rambling. Ok, so I normally have some stomach issues due to stress,nerves etc. I get heartburn and upset stomach once in a while. I had many tests run and nothing is wrong, I just have excess stomach acid. I have learned how to deal with it for the most part. So, today I am sitting at work and get terrible heartburn that feels like it is in my back too. I know deep down that is all it is, but because it feels different, I start being a hypochondriac thinking it is something with my heart. I know nothing is wrong with my heart and I hate thinking this. So, I am trying to keep my mind occupied so I don't think about it, but that is hard to do! I am starting to feel a bit anxious and am trying to relax. To top it off, my sinus are stuffy which makes me a bit dizzy, which feeds into the hypochondriac attitude.

I guess I just need some reassurance today! I have had a busy/bit stressful week so far . I had to go teach financial education classes on Credit Scores to high school kids yesterday, something I have not done on my own yet. I got really nervous, but in the end it wasn't so bad. (except for how disrespectful some of the kids were) I even managed to not have a panic attack! That combined with not sleeping well Sunday night, preparing for a dance recital at the studio I teach at and just being overall busy this week has left me exhausted!

Ok, so that is all. Sorry again this is rambling...I just need some reassurance!

Thanks for reading!

Magen

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 12:16pm

Weird body sensations will send me into anxiety quicker than just about anything else, so I understand where you're coming from. It sounds like you have had a bit of a stressful start to the week, so that obviously doesn't help. You're gonna be okay, though. Just keep reminding yourself that your heart is fine. The symptoms you're describing sound like acid reflux, as opposed to just heartburn. It's something that I suffer with as well. The good news is that it doesn't affect your heart at all and there are over the counter medications that can take care of it. Would downing a couple of Tums help you to resolve that it's not your heart?

I hope the rest of your day goes more smoothly and the recital is a success! Let us know how you're doing!

Jess

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 12:49pm

Thanks for your reply Jess. I did take a couple of Tums and finally feel better. I k eep a bottle of Tums here at work since it seems like that is where I get the acid reflux/heartburn the most. It stinks, doesn't it?

The day is actually going smoothly aside from that. My boss is out of the office today and I am getting a ton of stuff done. I am going to dinner tonight with a friend that I have not seen in ages and I am very excited about that. I am pretty tired, but it is one day closer to the weekend and some much needed rest!

How have you been?

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 1:21pm

Isn't it amazing how much we can get done when the boss is out of the office? LOL There's a lesson in there somewhere I'm sure. I'm glad to hear you're getting out with friends! There's nothing like some quality girl time, or girl/boy time, or just time away from your usual routine. lol

Things are going well here. I've settle back down again. We've been having such incredible weather here lately. it was almost 80 yesterday, which is not the norm for us here in the Great White North. I've been getting outside a lot with my camera and the dog. We had my brother and his family over yesterday evening for barbecue and kite flying. It was great, until the blasted mosquitoes made their appearance. Ah, well. You take the good, you take the bad, right?

I'm glad your day is going more smoothly! Enjoy your dinner out and I hope the rest of the week passes quickly for you!

Jess

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 5:41pm
I hope you're feeling better, Magen:)
I have had heartburn that was related to stress. I think it's kind of natural to hold ourselves tensely when we're anxious & it gets that stomach acid rolling back. I don't want to freak you out more, but when you complained of back pain too, it reminded me of gallbladder attacks which have back pain involvement. Mine started out w/heartburn then progressively got worse. You might want to see a dr. for peace of mind & to get a treatment that will work for you. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk