horribly sick every morning

iVillage Member
horribly sick every morning
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 1:37am

i've been dealing with anxiety for five years, and of course it comes in waves. right now i'm completely unmedicated, because i just hate the thought of having to take a pill every single morning, but i've stayed steady on a few medications, ativan being the longest term. i always stop medicine mostly out of lack of money. my dr needs a recheck and when my insurance dropped me they just get too expensive. so i just end up quitting the meds.
anyway, what brought me here are my mornings.

every morning i wake up in pain. like my stomach is having a civil war and literally attacking itself... this has been going on for as long as i've had anxiety. it even can happen on a beautiful sunday morning, or a morning that i'm off work.. i wake up wretching and holding my stomach and dry heaving... sometimes i throw up but usually its unproductive.. then for hours all my stomach can tolerate is mountain dew and nibbles of saltines. anyway, with everything going on in my life (and i know everyone here's life too) this debilitating nausea in the morning has GOT to go!!! i can't deal with it anymore! I'm springing for a doctor's appointment thursday, but i need to talk about it now!

help?

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 4:56pm
Hello & welcome! Those stomach troubles sound really rough): I think seeing a dr. is a great idea. I know from reading posts & my own experience, nausea & all sorts of stomach troubles can be symptoms of anxiety & stress. Getting to the root of the problem through therapy has been very helpful. There are therapists who will bill on an ability to pay nature. As for getting on meds & staying on meds, I totally understand the cost issue. If you will follow the link http://www.pparx.org/, there is help available from the drug companies based on your income. Also, your dr may be able to sign you up through a drug company that will send you free or very low cost meds. He might even have samples in the office. Take advantage of it. The help is there for you. There is no shame in accepting it. This is an illness & to feel your best & live a good life, your illness must be managed.
As for anxiety in the morning & the nausea, you might try meditation, listening to relaxing music or meditation cd's through ear phones, belly breathing & repeating positive affirmations. These coping tricks you can teach yourself. Good luck & GBU! You are not alone. (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 5:07pm

leahlost, when my anxiety is at its worst, I can be very much like you describe, right down to the dry heaving. It is very upsetting, and I'm sorry that you are dealing with this.

One of the things my favorite anxiety book mentions is that after the night, many of us have worse anxiety in the morning because our metabolism is more sluggish at that part of the day. It use to be for me that I would be a mess until after lunchtime, and a good lunch. A good breakfast didn't seem to do the trick either, it was like my metabolism just wasn't ready to scoot into gear until after lunch. I would talk to the doctor about this possibility. It is possible that your metabolism is making you sick in the morning and that is making the anxiety worse.

I've heard of some people who wake up in the middle of the night, eat while they are still feeling fine enough to eat, and then have a little better time of it a few hours later when they get up to face the day. I personally like to drink 100% fruit juice when I think I'm having a metabolism related anxiety issue- it is pretty good for you and the sugars get into your system quickly.

(((HUGS))) I hope you are doing okay. Hang in there until your dr's appointment.