Proud of myself !!

iVillage Member
Proud of myself !!
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 12:56pm

I was in a car accident on Sunday while heading toward the building my DD goes to playschool. Luckily we were in our Jeep Wrangler (strong steel) so even though the impact was great (right at my son's door) we suffered little damage. The impact was strong enough to bend the axle so we cannot drive it, but luckily the driver of the other car called his insurance company & took all liability & with only 4000 miles on our car they said to fix it w/no arguments from them. (Their car was totaled.)

Though, I've been freaked out. Keep thinking if we were in any other car how would my children survived? My DD had abrasions from her seatbelt so I did have emergency called in & they felt she would be fine, which she has. In fact at dinner on Sunday she said to dad, still confused by the whole ordeal, 'mom takes me to school all the time and she has never hit a bump.'

So today my DD has playschool. I started to map out in my head all the ways I could drive and avoid the place we were hit on Sunday.

NOTE: I ALREADY SUFFER FROM DRIVING ANXIETIES!!! This is the only anxiety I have NOT been able to get some control over.

But guess what route I took! My normal route. The whole time my DD asking for the exact spot we were in our accident.

I did it ... shallow breathing, yes, but I didn't let anxiety dictate how to live my life!

I go pick her up again in about 45 minutes. Building up my strength to drive past the spot again.

:)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 3:25pm

I think that's great!! When we avoid things out of fear, we give them more power, making the avoided thing feel bigger and scarier than it truly is. I think you did exactly the right thing in this situation!!

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is okay. Accidents like that can be so scary, but it sounds as if you have handled it remarkably well. Congrats on your not so little victory over the anxiety!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 4:20pm
Thank God noone was hurt! You were very lucky! Good to hear that you faced your fears head on & survived. Congrats to you, Bonnie! GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk