GAD and Depressiom

iVillage Member
GAD and Depressiom
Mon, 05-31-2010 - 11:54pm
I am currently on 150 mg of Effexor XR and .50 clonazapem 2 x a day, this was reduced from 3 x a day because it was just making me a zombie and tired. The last 4 weeks my mess have been changed around a lot. I was on 150 Effexor and .50-1.50 Xanax as neeeded. Then I hit a major depression where I just wanted to die. My GP who was treating me from beginning reduced me to 75 mg of Effexor and added 150 Wellbutrin then up to 300. I was happy with my GP doc because I felt he cared and listened. I finally was able to get into a psychiatrist, thinking since it's their specialty that wld be the best person to go to but
not because I was unhappy with my care from my GP. The Psych took me odd Wellbutrin saying they were counter productive and went back up to 150 Effexor and changed to clonazapem. Well the clonazapem does not help when I am feeling anxious or having an anxiety moment like the Xanax did. I told him this and he said I need to get the levels built up. I have followed his instructions pretty much and I do not see a difference and this has been 4 weeks since I first went to him. I think I have gotten better in some ways. For exams if I go to get a mammogram I don't assume there will be a problem just the opposite I assume everything will be ok. However I still cannot read an article about cancer and not feel anxious and scared. Also I still worry about my family but perhaps to a lesser extent. There is a lot going on in my life with parents possibly divorcing and an I'll aunt and an overall dysfunctional family. I am just torn and frustrated. I'm wo seeing if I'm expecting too much from a med and whether I should stay with my GP or keep going to psych. He is very nice but he is older and foreign and I do not feel he listens to me. He said had I come into his office on no meds he would have put me on Cymbalta. I know that depression is often linked to anxiety and I can tell the diff btwn that and true depression and anxiety linked depression and genuine depression. I a
just at a loss because I dont know which direction to go in. If anyone has suffered both conditions and how were they treated and was it suxcessful please share your story .

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 1:50pm

I personally believe, if you're talking antidepressants it is best to work with the psych. Psych's are trained to understand the antidepressants, know their side effects & how they should & should not work. I don't think antidepressants should be px'd as lightly as they are. These are serious medications with serious side effects. I understand why they are, b/c if ppl had to see a psych there would be a lot of ppl who would not follow through due to stigma, but I really wish GP's took the job a lot more seriously.

That said. Dealing with my H's psych, I think their bigger concern is getting you some relief w/o having too many side effects. So if you're anxiety is doing better, even if it's not fixed, then they feel it's working well.

I think the BEST results is to meet the meds half-way. In other words, not expect the meds to be a 'fix all.' Or else perhaps that is were some of the dependency comes from. I've read over and over the BEST results comes from a mixture of medication, diet/exercise & therapy.

.... if your anxiety is interfering with your life, then let your psych know ASAP.

If anxiety is making it a little difficult, but not
stopping you, then maybe you can try diet/exercise and therapy as supplements to your medication.

I wish you a relaxing day.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 6:32pm
Hi! Sorry to hear that you aren't improving as you'd like): I have had depression & anxiety together & it was challenging to find the right meds & dosages. Like Bonnie, I have to agree that meds are only part of our recovery. Learning new ways to cope & finding the underlying issues that trigger our anxiety/depression is the other 50%. Most psychiatrists nowadays order meds & then do check-ups to see how the meds are working. The *talking* part is left to therapists & learning to cope & find the balance in life is left up to us.
Everyone finds what works for them. If I don't get enough sleep or stop exercising for a few days, I begin to slip. Through therapy, I was able to learn how I set myself up for anxiety & how to belly breathe & relax through anxious situations. The depression part is trickier. You need to talk to someone that is trained to listen objectively & guide you to recovery. There's underlying reasons for your fear of cancer & health issues. A professional is the best thing for now.
Also, the biggest thing for me is to find enough distractions to keep me from ruminating(going over things in my head ad infinitum.) That makes me depressed & @ a point overwhelms me & the depression gets a stronger grip): It's hard climbing out of that dark hole again! Drop what stress you can. We can be our own worst enemies @ times & simply stress ourselves out. It takes practice to learn how to relax & find our balance. It is difficult for us, as we're an impatient lot. We'd all like to be better, yesterday. Unfortunately, that isn't how this illness works.
GL & GBU! Don't be a stranger. Post anytime. (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk