Americans prefer drugs for depression

iVillage Member
Americans prefer drugs for depression
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 2:42pm

Our QOTW: After reading this article, what are your thoughts? Do you prefer meds to therapy? Would you consider only therapy if you knew it was just as beneficial in treating your symptoms?

Americans prefer drugs to fight depression
But patients benefit as much from 7 or more therapy sessions, report finds - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37445952/ns/health-mental_health/

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 9:10pm
I know several people who have chosen this route, forgoing therapy, which they perceive to be a waste of time, for meds. I think it's a little wrong headed, to be honest. For those suffering from situational anxiety and depression, therapy can be amazingly effective.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 12:27pm

I think the header is misleading.

Honestly, I think if a doc came up to a person & said, you can take antidepressants for 2 years or you can have 7 therapy sessions many would be more likely to choose the 7 sessions. (If it's weekly, it's less than 2 months!)

I think people are constantly making un-informed decisions when it comes to antidepressants. I think of my family doctor as a drug pusher (as well as my H's psychiatrist).

I watched a Frontline show about 'over medicating our children' & a doctor, knowing he was being filmed, told parents their child did not need therapy, he only needed drugs.

Now, I do believe Americans have also become very lazy. Sorry - if I've offended anyone. I feel people here look for the quickest, easiest fix with the smallest amount of work needed to change. (I think this is slowly beginning to change. I know I've seen a huge change in my neighborhood over the years. Lately I rarely see a sidewalk w/o a person walking/jogging for exercise.)

Then finally there is a stigma with therapy still. Antidepressants have been more accepted & it can also be hidden, but harder when you have to get time off of work & sit in an office. I remember one time seeing a co-worker exit a therapists office while I was in the waiting room. She was DEVASTATED! What did she think I was doing there anyway???

I think for therapy to take a stronger role we need our doctors to make it seem like it's no big deal & that the course of treatment would be quicker & mention the loss of side effects as well. We need to get back to a state of 'prevention' rather than 'treating symptoms.'

I do believe some MUST be on medication. But believe ALL would benefit from therapy & some with mild conditions could avoid meds all together.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 7:46pm
I never found the magic pill): Thankfully, after dragging my feet for too long, I got the therapy I needed & it helped. I might consider only therapy in the future. I know that occasional follow-up visits helped to keep my coping skills sharp. jan

gem21uk