Here we go again!

iVillage Member
Here we go again!
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 9:20pm

I've been having alot of anxiety worrying about the tests on monday. I really dread the MRI. I have a tough time being stuck in there! Of course I'm obsessing about the results of the tests! I decided its like Jess said when I was anxious about seeing the neurologist.... I just have to expect to feel this way. "Acceptance"

I've been going back through my Dr Weekes book and my anxiety/ panic work book. Sometimes I wonder if all this reading and talking about it makes it worse. I was busy cleaning today and out of the blue comes a panic attack. Earlier I was reading my work book and wondered if that triggered it.? Sometimes I wonder if I concentrate on it too much???

BOOP

Three grand essentials to life are...something to do

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 10:31am

(((HUGS))) You will continue to be in my prayers and thoughts- as you have been for the past few weeks.

I've also wondered if sometimes it is good to just take a break from the reading/research and just "be." I had to leave the board I was on previous to this one because, initially it was helpful to meet other people who had virtually identical experiences to mine, but eventually it got to the point that others' experiences were triggering and not healing. Almost like I'd learned enough from them to be satisfied and there was nothing more to be gained.

My brain does a lot of associations that trigger anxiety (I bet all of us with anxiety do this whether we realize it or not), that is where an object or a place triggers a thought, which in turn triggers the anxiety attack. Sometimes this is so quick, or subtle, that you don't realize that's what's happened. For me it is especially likely if I've had exposure to something during past anxiety attacks-- for example, if I was paying bills and had an anxiety attack, the next time I go to use the checkbook that memory might get triggered and lead to increased anxiety- and I might not even consciously remember why. The more I pay attention to how I feel, the more aware I become of what triggers it, but not always. It would make sense that anxiety books could trigger anxiety if we've come to associate them with a time we were having anxiety.

You know, I've heard that the majority of people have trouble being in an MRI machine, so you are not alone. Is there a possibility of being sedated? Another idea I've heard is to take along a washcloth and drape it over your eyes while you are in there. Some people like the washcloth to be damp, but if you take one from home, maybe it would be more comforting and familiar? Just an idea. Hang in there! I'll be thinking about you all weekend and Monday too! (and even beyond then!)

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 10:38am

I've often had the same thought when I've really been focusing on the anxiety and reading about it a lot. It makes me wonder if it doesn't somehow make it worse. There are times when I think it does. When I focus too much on it, then I start worrying about the anxiety. But other times, the reading and workbooking are a great source of comfort. Sometime, though, I just have to take a step back and say to myself, "Alright, I have anxiety. I know what it is, what's causing it and how to cope with it. Time to get on with my life." I think we can get drawn into the trap of trying to find a logical reason for the illogical. We want to cure the anxiety, so we try to find the root cause, the best plan of action, the next trick. And when we continue to have anxiety despite our best efforts, we're disappointed, angry with ourselves, frustrated. None of which helps our anxiety levels.

This why the idea of just accepting and floating is becoming more and more appealing to me. It's a constant struggle for me to do that, so I have to stop myself when I start going down the rabbit hole. I try to treat it like any other chronic illness. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm trivializing it, because I'm not. It's more like viewing the anxiety like my arthritis. When it flares up I don't get mad at myself or escalate into greater pain. I just recognize that the arthritis is acting up and I need to take it easy for a day or two until it settles back down again, then get on with my life. Does that make sense?

I'll be thinking about you as you prepare to have the testing done. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts.

Jess

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-13-2010 - 11:06am

How're you doing today? You're having your MRI tomorrow, right?

Jess

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-13-2010 - 5:12pm
Hi Jess, I had a rough morning but have been trying to keep busy and not dwell on tomorrow. I have an EEG, echocardiodram (sp?) and an MRI tomorrow. The tests start at 8am with the eeg, the echo at 10 am and the MRI is at 11am so hopefully will be done by noon. I had blood work yesterday and she blew a vein so have a nice bruise.

BOOP

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 3:46pm
(((Boop))) How'd it go? I hope you came through all your tests like a charm. BTW, there are some places that have an open MRI machine & as Fish said, they will give you meds for anxiety. Keep in touch. I said a prayer for you this morning. GL & GBU! jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 9:46pm
WHEW!!! Glad thats over!!

BOOP

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 11:33pm

I was in search of a message board where I could talk with people that have gad, and came across this site.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 7:32am
Ashley,

BOOP

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 2:57pm
Hi & welcome! Post anytime. We understand anxiety & will support you in any way we can. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-19-2010 - 10:25pm

Thank you I appreciate it!

Pages