Discovered Rescue remedy..

iVillage Member
Discovered Rescue remedy..
Sat, 06-19-2010 - 3:11pm

Hi...

I have discovered rescue remedy, and I have spoken to someone at a health food store. They told me that rescue remedy is really good if you get into a situation. They now also have a gum too. Have you guys had the gum before too? I spoke to them about Passion Flower, and its more a night time remedy to take rather during the day, because of the alertness. They are in a drop form.

So, I bought the rescue remedy and I will see how it goes.

Just wondering, i'm reading about anxiety, so that I could get more knowledge out of it, what diets have you tried that helped to relieve some of your symptoms. I skimmed a bit from this book and it mentioned about a vegetarian diet. What you guys think? I know exercise is a very good thing...just curious about diet in itself.

Thanks.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-19-2010 - 8:38pm

I actually first heard of it for my puppy b/c she had (barely getting over) nervous urination. Let us know how the people one goes for you.

I'm always scared to take something that has more than one active ingredient b/c I'm sooo scared of side effects. Silly I know. Before I became this way I took Xanax w/no problem. Now that I have this new fear (after an allergic reaction to either birth control or Zoloft) I cannot even take Xanax w/o panicking. I feel pathetic.

I have done well with an oat extract & omega-3.

As for diet, I believe it really depends on your body. I, personally, could not go long w/o meat. If I go too long without red meat in particular I tend to have an easier time to slip into diet-related panic mode. My cycles influence my panic attacks & I found eating red meat at certain times of my cycle is quite beneficial.

Here are some diet things I have learned though in my research.

VERY IMPORTANT, water. I spent time some time looking at dehydration & its symptoms & they closely relate to what feel like anxiety. Now TRUE dehydration is hard to get to, but simply not having enough water does cause physical effects. My rule of thumb drink enough that your urine is barely visible. (some vitamin supplements can turn urine yellow though.)

Cinnamon helps control blood sugar. Have you ever noticed if you have not been eating enough you're more likely to have an attack? If so try having cinnamon with your breakfast.

Oats is high in vitamin B's & magnesium which both help the nervous system. (I like to have steel cut oats w/cinnamon for breakfast.)

I've read in a few places wheat may increase depression & anxiety suffers are often suffering to some degree of depression.... I personally do not know how to stay away from wheat since I eat whole grain & but insist on only purchasing which ever bread is on sale :)

Omega-3 ... I love this stuff. You can get it through fish or flax seed. I personally like to know it's in my system nice & early. So I use a 'blendz'. It's an oil in liquid form, but is masked by a fabulous lemon flavor & made with xylitol so even though it's sweet & yet a more friendly type of sugar.

If you have allergy triggered anxiety you could try to consume 1 tsp of local honey a day. This is not a proven method to keep allergies down, but some swear by it. This is such a strange spring I'm don't feel I'm in a place to say if it worked for me or not. I still have allergies, but I rarely get those sneeze attacks. But it's been really wet.

I'm sure others have food/diet things they do.

In the end I have found ... just accepting your anxiety is the biggest help. Trying to mask, hide, stuff it away by altering your life this way & that only helps it grow.

Yes, I follow through with the diet stuff ... only if I see a greater health benefit over all. In other words, maybe my anxiety it telling me I need a change ... but I'm not going to change for anxiety, I hope that makes sense.

Peace

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 4:12pm
Let us know how the Rescue Remedy works for you & the dose you take. That will help everyone searching for an alternative. Here is what iVillage has to say about anxiety alternatives: http://www.ivillage.com/anxiety/4-y-88816 I have heard mostly good things about it. As Bonnie said, it is used for pets, too.
As for diet, multivites are recommended. Omega 3's & B vites seem to have some success. There has been a lot of evidence that following the Mediterranean diet is not only a healthier way to live but decreases depression. Since depression & anxiety go hand-in-hand, that is what I follow. Avoiding stimulants (such as caffeine, nicotine, cold meds) no alcohol or illegal drugs is very helpful. I have read many articles, that anxious folks are dehydrated. As a result, I drink plenty of fluids daily & extra during warm weather or stressful times. TBH, I am a big follower of Dr. Andrew Weil. Natural seems better to me.
Keep in touch. Thanks for posting! GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 7:41pm

I have tried the rescue remedy gum and it did work...man, do you feel relaxed, but I was able to drive too. I'm gonna try it tomorrow, I have to get a blood test tomorrow, and I'm not one for needles too...yes...I know...but who isn't.

I'm aware that they do have it for dogs or cats. For dogs, there is this natures vet calming aid tablets that works really well too.

Anyway...it makes sense on the diet though...I will do anything to go natural. I recently started journalizing. It does help a lot too. You put all your worries and then you don't worry about it afterwards.

Thanks...I will keep you guys updated...thanks again...

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 1:03pm

What is the rescue remedy, about how much does it cost, and where can I get it? I'm trying to get off of meds.

Thanks,
Monica

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 6:30pm

Hi...

Rescue remedy helps to calm you. It does work...well for me at least...for example, today, for a situational problem, I took the gum in the end, it helped to calm me. My tears didn't help, but it help to calm me. It depends at each health food store you go to. I would just pop in at a health food store and inquire. They also have the spray too...I bought both...the gum, you will have to read the instructions. I take it when I need it, so not everyday. Today was a good day for it. Its an orange flavour, so it doesn't taste bad at all!

What kind of meds are you trying to get off if you don't mind me asking and why are you getting off them? I was told that I may need meds, but decided not to, I'm going to go all Natural for it. Believe me...it is a struggle, but I'm fighting the darn thing...

Hopefully this helps...take care...

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 1:03pm

Just an FYI, I tried meds, but felt they made everything worse for me. So I've been doing it all natural & honestly I feel a lot better about it. It does take a lot longer, as meds should work in about 6 weeks & it's been years worth of work for myself. But knowing it's me who's changing it feels more long term & less constrained.

So I believe, if major depression or other depressive disorder is not involved, it is possible to do this naturally. Just accept it takes more time & a lot more work.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my earlier post, but w/people who practice yoga in all parts of their life, will use a neti pot every morning, regardless of allergies. This is just to help you breath better throughout the day. Now I started to use b/c of allergies, but I definitely feel the benefit if irrigating often. I mix my own saline solution.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 4:40pm
Hi Monica & welcome! From what I have read, the Rescue Remedy is made from essential oils(flower essences) that a man named Bach discovered. Here's a link to aromatherapy & oils w/links within it for more info: http://www.ivillage.com/aromatherapy-and-essential-oils-pdq-complementary-and-alternative-medicine-patient-information-nci/4-y-99175
Please make yourself @ home on the board. Also, follow my link to Alternative Health & we'll find the thread that others have shared on flower essences. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk