QOTW: Does Diet Make a Difference?

iVillage Member
QOTW: Does Diet Make a Difference?
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 5:30pm
Is there anything, food or drink wise that affects your anxiety? Have you changed your diet? What dietary changes worked the best for your anxiety? Share your thoughts w/us this week. (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 12:10am
The biggest dietary change I made was giving up caffeine. I was a certified junky, often drinking a pot or more of coffee a day, but I came to the conclusion that my body just can't handle the extra stimulation, so I gave it up. My general anxiety level decreased dramatically after about two weeks of being caffeine free. It's been five years now, and I really don't miss it.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 5:39pm

I have found giving up caffeine and "white foods" have made a huge huge difference. (Also, eating a big breakfast first thing in the morning is critical for me)
By "white foods" I mean all forms of sugar, white flour (replaced with whole grain), white rice (replaced with brown), quitting things like potato chips, etc.
I follow the program found in "Potatoes Not Prozac" (radiantrecovery.com) to change my diet as far as eating protein, whole grains, limiting fruit, etc.

It's very rare that I eat sugar but if I do, I am physically "sick" and emotionally unbalanced for a few days. I know when I have eaten some hidden sugars (Chinese food is often loaded with it) because I feel edgy, anxious and uncomfortable for a couple of days.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 9:34pm
Diet makes a big difference for me, I have hypoglycimia and honestly don't take care of myself like I should . Eating improperly triggers alot of my panic attacks. The symptoms of hypoglycimia are very similar to anxiety. You would think I would know better and watch my diet better.... but I don't!!

BOOP

Three grand essentials to life are...something to do

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 9:49pm
Same here! I never know if the weak in the knees, racing heart, sweating & tingly fingers is the beginning of a panic attack or my sugar has taken a dive. Take better care of yourself, Gracie! Those are orders from headquarters. LOL GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 10:09pm
I could caffeinate myself right into a panic attack. Cutting out coffee really helped. Nowadays half-caf or green tea is ok. As for foods, after my surgery anything white or proccessed had to be eliminated. I feel a lot better most days & more able to cope w/the anxiety when it does rear it's ugly head. (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk