needles...

iVillage Member
needles...
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 6:44pm

Hi...

I hate needles and I had to go and get one. Because I had a bad experience it was just lovely in getting a blood test. They had to use my other arm, because

iVillage Member
In reply to: mom_may_flower
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 12:55am

A lot of people have a difficult time with needles and having blood drawn. I'm one of them. I find that it helps if I keep talking and look away. I just can't watch them draw the blood from my arm. I hate to say it, but it's entirely possible that you will always have discomfort when you have blood drawn or get a shot, but some deep breathing can help you through it. Also, don't hesitate to tell them that you get light headed or anxious. It's perfectly okay for you to request their best phlebotomist. I do regularly, because a really good one will be able to draw the blood without you even feeling it. Then I turn my head, tell not to warn me when they're "going in" and start a conversation.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 10:25am

I am needle-phobic too!

Like Jess, I have learned that I can be okay if I do not watch. I warn the tech of this as soon as I sit down too. I'll say something like, "I'm okay, I just can't watch" and turn my head. Sometimes they will ask a couple of times if I'm okay, and actually I'm fine as long as I don't look and just sort of breath through it.

The other thing I can't do is look at the viles of blood sitting on the table once they are done. If I see the blood filled viles, I get very light headed and faint, so I've also learned to make a point of not looking at the viles no matter what!

The weird thing is I can watch other people get their blood drawn, and look at their viles of blood, and that doesn't bother me for some reason even though they look exactly the same as mine.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 10:40am
I'm the same way! I can watch other people have blood drawn all day long, but it only bothers me if it's mine. Weird.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 6:39pm

Hi...

Thanks..I also saw

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 9:18pm
Hi! Needles aren't pleasant. I had bad veins for many years & would have to be poked over & over until they got my specimen. There were times I had to wait for their best person to get there. That leaves too much time to think. So... I believe making certain they know in advance of your difficulties, will lessen the wait time & reduce all that *thinkin'* time;)
Many moons ago, prior to entering nursing school, I had to have blood drawn. That was the only time in my life that I passed out cold. The lab staff & prospective students waiting in line told me I ought to re-think my career choice. Have you any idea how devastating that could have been? Considering I have had anxiety all my life, not to mention low self-esteem? I have often wondered why I persevered. Maybe I used all that negativity to my advantage somehow.
Anyhoo, like Jess, I look everywhere but @ the needle or @ the insertion. I belly breathe, converse or subtract large sums in my head.
Like all things, the more times we have to face what makes us anxious, the better we get @ it. But blood draws are few & far between for most of us. Thank your lucky stars that you are healthy. Be prepared & have an action plan for the next blood draw. Try not to wait for it to happen or worry about when it might. You have a lot of good livin' to do. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk